or Connect

Posts by HannahJ

Hi, mamas   I'm looking for resources that will help me with ideas for setting up our home in the most conducive way to help my 18 month old help himself.  I'm not too familiar with the montessori philosophy, but I've seen snippets of things here and there that lead me to believe this is a philosophy similar to what i'm seeking.    I'm just realizing that sometimes our home is not that well set-up for our son and I want it to be a safe, fun, nurturing and...
So far, we've co-slept with my son, but I'd like to start transitioning him to a crib by our bed.  He's 18 months.  How do I keep him warm?  He's got full body pajamas and I do put socks on him and occassionally even a fleece if it's very cold.  I've got some baby blankets and even a small quilt, but none are particularly warm.  We use a heavy down comforter on our bed, and maybe it's totally psychological, but it just doesn't feel right to have him alone in the crib...
thanks, guys! The four year old rides in a Cosco Scenera at home, I'm almost certain.  And I know those are pretty inexpensive.  I didn't know they were narrow- I'm going to look into that.  I'll look up all of these mentioned.  thank you so much
The two kids I nanny for are 3 and 4 and roughly 30-35 pounds.  Occassionally, it would be nice to take them plus my one year old son all in the car together.  I have him in a combi cocorro right now.  Can I do 3-across?  I have a super small car!  It's a Honda Fit.  maybe it's not even possible.   If it is possible, I would prefer to not spend a lot because it's a rare occurrence. Both toddlers forward-face in their parents' car.  My son obviously rear...
I'm a HUGE advocate of shoe removal indoors.  Our home is shoe-free, and I would be just as uncomfortable as you are with a daycare that wasn't.  I am actually pretty unconcerned with "germs," but tremendously concerned about chemicals.  Ever seen someone out on their sidewalk spraying pesticide into the cracks?  I see this often.  If you pay attention, you'll witness it too.  Most parks spray all around the trees to prevent weeds.  This contaminates sidewalks as well as...
I wonder if I've got the youngest nursling here!  My son is only a year, so we've got no intentions of intentionally weaning any time soon, and I intend to tandem if all goes well.  I'm a little nervous about the fact that it really seems that most women see their milk dry up at some point during the pregnancy.  My guy is eating solids, of course, but he is still probably getting the majority of his nutrition from my milk.  I'm offering solid food as much as possible,...
oh, thanks for the help, you guys.   Brigala, it's a 2008 Honda Fit.  Do you have some kind of tool (or website! that would be awesome) that can help people figure out which seats will fit?   And, Chickabiddy, thanks for the recommendation.  That seat looks great and even with the big pricetag, looks like it would really last us (and as long as there is value, i can justify the cost).  There is the R100, the RXT, and the R120... so I'll have to see how all of...
I stand corrected, chickabiddy.  I just remember reading the details on the side of the seat and making a mental note that we definitely needed a new seat soon.  So I just looked it up again and it is not because of his age as I had remembered; it is because of weight.  It's got a 33 pound weight limit.  The 40 that stuck in my mind was a 40" height limit.  The sticker on the seat itself is a little misleading because it says you can rear-face to a year, but in looking...
Needing a seat in which I can rear face as long as possible.  My boy is a year old and about 30 pounds.  His current carseat says I can only rear-face him up to 40 pounds or up to a year, which ever comes first.  So although he appears to fit in it just fine, it looks like we need a new one now.   but space is a major issue (front to back space- the width shouldn't matter too much), as we've got a very very small car.   thoughts?
This isn't specifically a carseat issue, but it involves cars, so I thought this might be a good place to ask...     We've always been a small-car family, but are looking into possibly buying a car down the road that can fit more folks.  With two kids and an almost constant need to shuttle additional people around, we are often in need of more seats.  And yet it's not an every day need.  Those fold-down seats seem like a great solution for us because when we don't...