or Connect

Posts by elluin

My daughter is ten months. We're trying to join this playgroup right now; I thought you might be interested because they have some homeschool kids also: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SDNorthCountyAPPlaygroup/ There are lots of places to buy furniture and household items around here! Will your husbands' company put you in a hotel for a few nights so you don't have to buy beds, sheets and everything the day you arrive? Sometimes I miss living in the midst of a big city,...
You're very welcome.  :)    My cousin recommended the same greatschools.org website above.  After working at the schools, she says she agrees with these ratings.  She also said that the areas around the better schools are usually better neighborhoods, especially around the better elementary schools.   I wish I had some positive words of wisdom for driving... to be honest, Southern California traffic can be awful but we all learn to deal with it.  My husband says...
You don't have to be rich to live here, but it would definitely help!  So much of our income goes towards housing... I frequently wish we lived somewhere less expensive but we want to stay close to our family.  The coastal areas are much more expensive than inland, but of course then you lose the beach and the best weather!
Daughter is sleeping again.  :)   This is a huge move - I imagine it's both scary and exciting!  San Marcos is really less rural and more suburban - planned housing, community green space, shopping & businesses.  When I think rural I picture farms and open land, there is a bit of that in the area, but mostly on the outskirts.  As far as gated communities - most gated communities here have a gate but not a guard.  We live in one and it doesn't really keep anyone out,...
I will ask my cousin which neighborhoods have the best schools.  She recently purchased a home in this area and has worked as an occupational therapist in most the area's schools.  I know schools were a big factor in their decision of where to live.  We're still renting and our daughter is not yet school-age, so we haven't considered this yet.  California's schools have been hit hard in the current economy (I've heard that budget cuts were as high as one-third of the...
There are quite a few natural-family friendly neighborhoods in San Diego, but whether they are affordable is relative!  We are currently in Carlsbad (it neighbors Encinitas to the north), but I love Encinitas.  We used to live a few minutes outside of downtown (in the neighborhood of Normal Heights).  I liked living in both places, but Encinitas strikes me as being more family friendly, probably just because it's less urban.  We definitely have better relations with our...
My husband, daughter (almost 10 months) and I live in Carlsbad, which is a neighboring city to San Marcos (the cities are mostly all right on top of each other here).  San Marcos is in North San Diego County, which is a very family friendly area; there is also a lot of support for natural parenting here!  San Marcos is a smaller city surrounded by other small cities (which makes it feel much larger).  It is relatively suburban and is about 40 minutes from downtown San...
Well, I really thought I would be able to get online more often... ;)  I wanted to update and say that I think it was the crawling!  Once she mastered crawling she started waking for shorter periods again (mostly nurses and goes back to sleep).   As for the clocks... at some point I did stop tracking how often she wakes to nurse and I sleep with my back to the clock, both of which seem to help me accept continued night nursing as a part of life.  We still have one...
I slept on an adult reflux wedge pillow with my daughter until her reflux improved with chiropractic care and diet changes for me (no wheat).  With both of us lying on the wedge I was able to hold her so she didn't roll down.  Even then she needed to be fully upright after nursing, which is challenging when you just want to sleep!  My husband would sit up with her if I was drifting and we both used our phones to help keep us entertained (ie. awake).  At seven months she...
I guess sometimes I just need reassurance that what she is going through is normal - thanks for the support mamas!  I think every time we learn to get some sleep she mixes it up for us!  :)