or Connect

Posts by sobamom

Alright, this is going to be the last post from me because I feel it's just going to continue to rouse a lot of emotional responses. I think my biggest mistake was choosing such a thoughtless title for my post. I never imagined this would become such a controversial discussion :) Confession: I didn't know Mothering.com forum was only for AP-practicing people.    For the record, using a door-knob cover isn't really locking the door. You turn it normally from the...
  I'm definitely concerned about her exploring the apartment while I'm asleep--totally frightens me.   
Absolutely no defensiveness on my part, I swear :) I'm in fact doing my best to keep things peaceful, but I also feel compelled to answer Hakeber's posts.   1. Yes, I did write "I don't want to be talked out of it--I think :)." I apologize if it was misleading, but it was merely my way of saying I'd most certainly welcome arguments opposing my decision, but truly my main goal was merely to get some practical answers I mentioned above.      2. Okay, sorry, you never...
Hi Rebekah,    If you read my original post, I actually started this thread to ask about rather practical information (locks and low boundaries around a mattress set on the floor), not to receive approval or affirmation. I actually learned about door-knob covers through this forum and I know for a fact that there are moms here that use them to keep their children (safe) in their rooms at night. I've only taken the time to answer your and others' questions because I...
  DD is one of those kids who needs time alone to wind down before sleep. We have our routine together, which ends with a nursing session, but *she* is the one who tells me she's ready to go into the crib and for me to get out :) I've heard her singing and talking to herself for as long as 30 minutes after I stepped out of the room. She may be just a little thing, but I respect that she, too, needs some alone time. If I stay in the room with her, she simply will not fall...
  Heh, yeah, I realized after I posted that my post-title looked rather like a red flag being waved.   Thanks, MsFortune, for the tips!
  The thing is that DD is used to the door being closed, so it is not a scary thing, to her. She is used to calling out for me, when she wants me to come get her. And our poorly constructed--and very small--apartment means I can hear every murmur and whimper from her and go to her right away.   I figure if she can scale her crib, it's only a matter of time before she can climb over a baby gate. Also, it wouldn't take much for her to figure out that she could stack up toys...
I totally respect your feelings, but to be honest, I don't see the difference between a locked room and a crib--well, the former is larger than the latter--which is where my daughter has happily slept all her life, until now. I definitely would never lock DD into her room while she was awake. Our room is right next to hers, and she is used to calling (loudly) for me, whenever she wants me. I'm also thinking of the dangers or having a child able to roam freely around the...
Oh my gosh, my toddler says the same thing, "Mommy, doing?" And yeah, it drives me absolutely bonkers, particularly when (a) I'm doing something she clearly knows the word for (e.g., eating), (b) she just asked me the same question three seconds ago, (c) I have no idea how to possibly answer the question ("Tree, doing?" Usually, I tell her, "It's growing," and try my hardest not to appear exasperated). She does not respond well to having the question turned around on her...
Hi everyone,   I need advice ! Sorry, but a bit of background info, first: DD is 29 months old and is somewhat unusual in that she has almost always preferred sleeping in her crib *without* me being in the room. If I'm there--or, god forbid, attempt to co-sleep with her--she thinks it's play time. And she's like the energizer bunny--you know--and she does NOT eventually crash from exhaustion. Needless to say, going on vacation and sharing a hotel room with her has...