or Connect

Posts by swelldoula

I've gained 17 pounds so far, which is amazing for me since with the last two pregnancies I gained 60 and 40 pounds. I hope I don't balloon over these last couple weeks!   I'm starting to think about what I'm going to do to get into shape after this baby is born. Has anyone thought about it yet?
I had a terrible dream the other night after reading this thread!!   I was supposed to be going in for an ultrasound (IRL, I haven't had any ultrasounds this pregnancy), but instead, the doctors knocked me out and took the baby out to examine it. I knew they were planning on putting it back in, but I was terrified watching the whole thing from across the room. There was a ton of medical equipment in the room, and the baby looked very strange and wasn't moving. Super...
I was measuring a few weeks ahead (3 I think?) for a couple of my appointments. I really think it has a lot to do with the position of the baby. Are you seeing a midwife or an OB? Does the same person measure you each time? I wouldn't count on having the baby early even if you are measuring ahead. Some babies are just bigger than others!
I emailed the article to my midwife, and here was her response:   Hi Lindsay!! This is very interesting!  I can see how if the room is warm enough this is a valid point.  One of the biggest concerns is heat loss and the baby's vitals being compromised. When the baby is compromised and injury occurs due to a preventable issue, "negligence" is the term that is thrown around .  When I was in school there was a lot of discussion about how fast we "swooped in".  We...
I thought about getting one of these too (the infant insert), but the reviews for them aren't very good... I think I read some on Amazon. I think the general consensus is that you don't really need them-  but, let me know what you think if you do get one!
I found the article I was looking for-   Check it out here. 
I just got the list of supplies from my midwife that I need to gather for my home birth. One of the things listed is "three baby hats," which are supposed to be sterilized in the oven, so I'm assuming they are for immediately after the birth.   I'm wondering though, if putting a hat on a newborn is really necessary, or something we do just because it's another one of those things we've been doing... know what I mean? I kind of remember reading some things about...
I've been thinking a lot about this too. Even though with my last baby I *could* have spent at least a week or two in (or around) bed, I was up waaay too soon and I regretted it. I think it had a negative impact on our breastfeeding relationship, and on my PPD.   This time I am trying to get things all lined up so that I can take those two weeks and stay mostly in bed. I think I found someone who is working on their postpartum doula certification who will be willing...
  I'm due with baby #3 in mid-June, and I'm wondering if there are any student postpartum doulas in the Tucson area that are looking to gain some experience and help get their certification for a reduced fee or free. I have two other children, ages 3 and 7 at home, and I'm worried about having enough help around the first two weeks or so. My husband is going to be somewhat available (he'll be studying for the bar exam that takes place in late July), but I don't think...
I'm due with baby #3 in mid-June, and I'm wondering if there are any student postpartum doulas in the Tucson area that are looking to gain some experience and help get their certification for a reduced fee or free. I have two other children, ages 3 and 7 at home, and I'm worried about having enough help around the first two weeks or so. My husband is going to be somewhat available (he'll be studying for the bar exam that takes place in late July), but I don't think I'll...