or Connect

Posts by mezzaluna

knittygritty, thanks for sharing Steve's article.  I met him last fall and thoroughly enjoyed our conversations.   Steve Sagarin probably addresses this in one the blog posts, but Steiner did understand that human beings and their institutions do evolve.  Yes there are universal principles, but there is no need to replicate the conditions of 1925 in our contemporary schools.  For example - I've heard teachers remark that over the last couple decades 1st graders no...
There are good reasons for a child to wait on reading, but I do still think it's worse to discourage an interest in learning.  That doesn't mean you need to take her interest in reading as a cue that she's ready to learn to be an independent reader.  Like others have said, kids tend to develop in fits and spurts, and an interest now may be followed by a year of disinterest, followed by another growth spurt of wanting to reach the next level.  Maybe now she'll learn...
might not some people have religous objections to certain vaccine components and thus be fine with some vaccines (at least religiously speaking) but not others? it makes no sense to me that declaring a religion exemption means it must be from everything
we started after 12 months and have been spacing out shots at least a month apart and not doing the mega combo shots or anything not required for school entry. so far we've caught up on DTaP and IPV. she's now 25 mo. i was thinking about waiting on live-virus vaccines (MMR, chicken pox) until after 4 years old. not sure what to think about Hib and HepB. i think those are the ones "required" in our state. i would rather skip Hib and postpone HepB until teen years, but...
thanks for the heads up. what a pain
Quote: Originally Posted by Gitti Because our law makers are all hypocrites and in my opinion many don't vaccinate their own kids. i can see the money angle, yup. i also think they don't understand science well enough to question what they're being told by medical "experts." as a scientist myself i've found vaccination isn't an easy topic to understand, and how much time is a legislator really going to put into it when told something is...
maybe that's what our ped. meant, i guess! i was expressing concerns about doing hebB in early childhood and he was saying it was probably better to wait until adolescence. now why didn't he give his opinion a little more when we asked about DS? hmph. we ended up fully vaxing DS because we couldn't decide and decided to err on that side... also he was in a group daycare setting in his 2nd year. it really burns me up that parents aren't "allowed" to think through and...
we're doing a sel/delay schedule for our DD... but not sure how this works with massachusetts law. what if we want to send her to a preschool down the road that requires the state schedule and she's had part but not all of it. our pediatrician said this wasn't a problem and we'd just sign a waiver, and he's had plenty of other patients do this... but i do worry massachusetts is religious/medical exception only. can we claim a deeply held belief in selective and...
thanks all... i'm pretty sure we're going to delay any live-virus ones past 2, possibly 4.. we have some time to decide. and i'm pretty sure she'll still be nursing at 2... and if she's not at 4, well, at least she'll be 4 and with a much better developed immune system than a 12 month old!
Quote: Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy That's the one that has a long wait to check out. Maybe I can 'borrow' one of my husband's Borders gift cards that he's been hoarding.. it may also be in the library of your local LLL groups - call around and ask. i will probably be donating my copy there when i'm done with it. i know it's on the approved library list.