or Connect

Posts by lovepickles

We are having some extreme emotions with my daughter. I'm a SAHM and caregiver to my MIL that is living with us and experiencing dementia. We are in the process of resolving it with meds and separation but meanwhile my daughter is out of control. We use positive discipline but lately I have been her outlet for rage in a scary situation.   Last night my 3.75 year old daughter bit me so hard in the wrist that my thumb is still numb. She didn't want to wash her hands after...
Thank you ladies for your feedback. As I have come back to comment and emphasize the maddening repetition of praise I realize now this is more of a cognitive issue with the grandmother and that the persistent/repetitive behavior (however well intended) is the real upset. I'm with you on the regular acceptance of grandparent passes and if it only happened occasionally ... I would totally leave it alone but we spend 6-8 hours a day together and the praise comes once about...
Hello Ladies,   I need some advice on peacefully managing some philosophical differences at home. Recently my mother-in-law came to live with us because of her advanced Parkinson's disease. She interacts with DD periodically throughout the day and for the last month I've been struggling with extreme praise and emphasis on appearances. DD's grandmother makes a BIG deal over things that DD does and says "you are good at that" and "good job" several times an hour. DD in...
I am offering information based specifically on what works for OUR family and I'm being met with generalities and assumptions the my techniques  "more than likely won't work with this child at this point in time." My offense is in the insinuation of statements like this that your opinion, PrimordialMind, is of greater value than mine. There is no need to discount the likelihood of a successful outcome with anyone's opinion. It is my understanding that our ideas can exist...
PrimordialMind we are not in agreement on a few points including your most recent suggestion that a child of this (or any age for that matter) is too immature to learn empathy. My comments were offered as an alternative and and example for what works in OUR house. I'm irritated at the time I spent sharing the information to be followed with a discussion of "reality" and that my suggestions "don't always work". What is it about my comment that leads to your response. I'm...
I usually say "I don't like the way you are talking to me." If it continues and the tone is too harsh I pause until I can get calm. If it continues I model exactly how I want to be talked to. I repeat myself a lot. It also works with my husband.   I disagree with making the judgement that the child is rude and telling the child what they are. Try to hear what the child is too immature to say and repeat what you would like to hear in a respectful manner.   For...
I see gentle discipline as non-punitive. We lean heavily on consequences and keep them as natural as possible. My 3.5 has the same issues with repeated questions. My husband thought it was funny to play "are we there yet" in the car and she won't stop. So I tell her I don't like that game and that it is obvious that we aren't there. If she keeps doing it I stop talking until she says something else. It usually works but there are some days that it takes longer than...
I'm guessing there isn't much help out there. I keep doing searches for it and the only advice I keep getting is to find a way to generate income from home. I'm really frustrated that there isn't any monetary value attributed to women who homeschool and care for the elderly. It is like I've got to go do it for someone ELSE in order to be of any worth. So frustrating.  
Wow. I didn't realize this had already progressed so far. After you deal with the financial/legal aspects you should turn to your partner. This was a definite violation of trust. It is easy to demonize him for all this but he may have just been scared to share the reality and just went deeper and deeper into denial and somehow managed to fool himself. Get counseling because this kind of issue can easily end a marriage. Easily.   Let us know how you are doing. <3  
Hey Ladies,   I'm currently a SAHM to our 3.5 year old homeschooled child. Starting next month I am also going to be a permanent caregiver to my MIL who has fairly advanced Parkinsons Disease. She'll be coming to live with us. Our finances are tight but manageable.   I just had surgery for my horrendous sinuses and am totally laid up. My husband had to take time off work since I couldn't care for our daughter. I can't help but wonder what would happen if I got...