or Connect

Posts by Katrina

My older dd is 3.5yo, and we really let her decide what she is interested in learning. Right now she is really into writing her letters, spelling words, sounding out words, using the computer to type, browse the internet, and play games. That's great, and I'm proud of her, but the important thing is that right now, she is doing what she wants to do. She is excited about learning, and intent to do it. It sounds like your ds is also focused on learning, though in a different...
I don't know where you live, or if it matters, but California Homeschool Network http://californiahomeschool.net/default.htm has a pamphlet for family members and friends of homeschooling families. I'm not sure if it is specific to the state of California in any way, but even if it was, I think it may help. You could hand it to them and say, "This will answer all your questions, and if it doesn't, you can ASK me, but not attack me about it or try to dissuade me." Good luck!
We have been sharing our bed since the birth of my 3 1/2 yo (J). When #2 (N) was born, J moved into a twin mattress on the floor next to my husband's side of the bed. Then we moved to CA where the bedrooms are itty bitty, and we have no room to put another mattress in. The girls are so big that our queen mattress is no longer big enough to hold me, my husband, and even 1 girl. Our second bedroom is needed as an office, so we have one bedroom and the futon in the living...
Yesterday my whole family (dh, dd 3 1/2 yo, dd 2yo) and I did a great project- made bread together. They helped me make the dough, then we each got a chunk to work with. My husband made a bird spirit, I made an A and a B, my 3 1/2 yo made a big triangle, and my littlest made a bunch of little "cookies". Then we took it all to the park and ate it- great fun! The girls were so excited to eat this fun shaped bread that they helped make. They absolutely loved it, way more than...
I am reading Teach Your Own by John Holt. My kids are only 2 and 3, so I can't say much from my own experience, but my kids are radically different from each other, and respond in completely different ways to everything we do. I know they will need to learn differently, which is why what John Holt says makes so much sense to me. His definition of unschooling is not one method of teaching, but the idea that each child is different and needs to be treated accordingly. He...
Thanks, Vanna's Mom and Dar! I had no idea Kndgtn wasn't required. That's good to know. It's also good to know how easy filing the r-4 is. I definitely plan on joining some homeschool groups. Has anyone here gotten the 3Moms products? (Curriculum Fair in a Box, Portfolio Kit, and State Compliance Kit) It seems like a great thing, but I'd love to hear from someone who's gotten it.
I have two daughters, ages 2 and 3 1/2. I live in San Diego, CA, and I plan on homeschooling, probably to the 8th grade. I am looking into the different options in curriculum and so on, and I have lots of questions. I think the best would be to just describe what kind of family we are and what we are looking for first. We husband and I are young entrepeneurs (translate: we don't have a lot of money right now). I am a stay at home mom, and once our photography business...
We went to the dentist for the first time 2 days ago. My 20 mo has cavities in her front top 4 teeth. The dentist was very nice and gentle, and said they would have to sedate her at children's hospital and have them filled or, more likely, have them crowned. We have medi-cal, which will only pay for stainless steel crowns, and we can't pay extra for the white caps, or have a family member pay for it, or we would have to pay for the whole procedure. The other hitch is that...
I've been reading in the dental archives about tooth decay and it just occurred to me that maybe probiotics would help. I've had great results with probiotics in a bottle, and soy yoghurt with live cultures, for a variety of health problems, but have not previously thought about using them for teeth. Has anyone tried this?
I don't know if this will help your situation at all, but a few months ago I had a wisdom tooth removed, and my mouth was left all cut up, it was awful. Instead of healing, these cuts got worse and worse, and I couldn't eat or anything, the dentist said they were normal, just like when you bite your cheek, and they would go away. This was a week after the tooth was removed. I told him that I am a klutz and constantly bite my lip/ cheek/ tongue, but this was way more...