or Connect

Posts by sageowl

This pregnancy, I have had both anemia and super low blood pressure...and felt exactly the way you described.  Taking iron pills (and eating more foods with iron) seemed to help.  With the blood pressure, I was told to try to drink more water, and that does seem to help most of the time (I don't know if it actually raises the BP any, but I feel a bit better).
I was gifted with a crib, bassinette, and a Moses basket.   Out of those, the only one I got any use out of was the Moses basket, and only for about 3 or 4 months, then DS grew too big for it.    Although I hadn't originally planned on co-sleeping (knowing I was going to go back to work FT), it turned out that the babe would only sleep ON me for the first several weeks, then for the next several months would only sleep snuggled up NEXT to me...but he WOULD take...
For me, the issue is the inability to get/stay comfortable, so nothing seems to help entirely, but I find I do a bit better if I drink some chamomile tea in the evening.
Are you having a homebirth, or delivering in a hospital?  (For a homebirth, you may be fine with just a midwife since you won't be dealing with medical staff/interventions/being away from home,etc).    If you're delivering anywhere else, however, I'd consider a doula (or at least having a backup support person, preferably someone who has had a baby before).  No matter how informed your husband is, he won't have the kind of knowledge/experience a doula has. ...
You're almost out of the worst stretch (IMO 12-18 months is sooo hard), so hang in there.  (I'm on hiatus from being a reading teacher and a bookworm, so I found the year without being able to read INCREDIBLY PAINFUL!!!!!)   I would also recommend audio books, NPR, etc.  I listen to audiobooks around the house, or when driving, and NPR really does help you keep up with the outside world.  Magazines were also kind of a lifesaver because the articles are short.
I have a toddler, but I'm definitely not a toddler expert by any means.  I can't speak to the speech issue, since my child DOES have speech issues (so I don't know what "normal" speech at 2.5 looks like--at 2.5 DS had a very limited repertoire of one syllable words, so she's MILES and MILES ahead of where he was at that age.) She also appears to not be very interested in learning about things, like the why or how of things.   I think that happens a...
Maybe he has a subtle case of dairy/milk intolerance.  (I was like that as a kid, so I'd go through phases where I'd totally reject dairy products and drive my parents craaaaazy, but I was and still am kinda borderline lactose intolerant, so sometimes it would make me feel "icky" so naturally I wouldn't want anything to do with it.).    Fortunately dairy is not the only source of calcium (although it's probably the easiest).    Here's a list of high calcium foods...
My DS (3) is also in the process of dropping his afternoon nap too...unfortunately mama is in the third trimester and desperately needs some downtime in the afternoon, so he has to spend an hour alone in his room, so I can lay down for awhile and recover enough to face the evening.    Some days he seems to do fine without one, and others are pretty trying (endless whining all evening, icky behavior, clearly tired, etc), but on the plus side, I was able to move his...
I really don't know if it's "normal" for ADHD to get worse outside the home?   Yes.  Usually, the less familiar the environment, the worse the behavior gets.  (less structure/familiarity=more anxiety, acting out)   Nothing we do--before or after events--seems to affect any change the next time.   Makes sense.  One of the primary issues with ADHD is the inability to learn from previous situations/behaviors/events.  This has to do with executive functioning...
I am a teacher, so this issue is one that's very important to me (since teaching respectful behavior is as much a part of the job description as teaching academic subjects).  While nothing works for every kid, I've noticed the following "moves" tend to work for me most of the time:   How do you help your young children learn to respect adults without conveying a message that the adult is always right?   I think respect isn't about adults -vs- children, but how to...