or Connect

Posts by sageowl

Just another voice saying you're not alone. I love my kids to pieces, but I'm not a "baby" person, so the first year is not my favorite. I really don't like to "play", talk, or sing cutesy--wootsie songs...all the things you're supposed to do with babies. Thankfully DS1 likes to entertain the baby and DS2 is pretty happy watching his antics, which takes the pressure off me to be "on" all the time.
Sweetsilver is right--it's wide open. If/when you do come out here, try to have a job lined up if you can. Try to get your living situation as low commitment as possible--sublet or other temp situations are good so you can explore/figure out what's right for you.
Yep, if employment is important, I would not try to live in coastal/rural WA or OR, unless you really dig collecting unemployment. For real.
Longview is an hour from Portland. Not a bad place actually. Maybe out by Hillsboro or Forest Grove is cheaper too? I live south of Portland in Clackamas County...sometimes you can find stuff in town that's 1200 but usually it's closer to 1500.
Just FYI the drive between Portland and Vancouver sucks... I would pick whichever. You're actually going to be working in.
I think the whole "crime" issue is a matter of perspective.  Stuff happens around here, to be sure, and sometimes the headlines get colorful, but my experience is--assuming you're not actively involved in the shady world of drugs/prostitution, or planning on working the graveyard shift at a convenience store, the worst thing that's likely to happen to you is someone might steal stuff out of your yard/car.  Most people that I know who live here have never experienced...
Sorry, I wish I knew if they've changed much in the last 3-5 years. I know the newer test that came out a year or two ago is supposed to be more accurate than the ones I was offered--which I declined because a 50% false positive rate was just too nerve wracking to even consider.
Are you talking about a specific child or autism in general? I personally don't find using labels very helpful unless I am talking to somebody who understands them already. With lay people, I usually just describe the characteristics that are specific to the situation...e.g. He has sensory difficulties. He has speech delays. She is able to read at grade level. She does not enjoy loud places. He has a high activity level. She does not like to be touched. Etc.
No personal experience, but with the AFP/ quad, Ive known a bunch of people that false-positives. I declined all the tests, so I don't know much about it myself.
Your mom is wrong, that is totally typical toddler behavior.