or Connect

Posts by sageowl

Sounds like he needs help, and you've brought it up with her, but there's really not much else you can do. The school is probably aware of the issue, since they see thousands of kids, they can usually spot one that seems "off" and may be working with him "off the record". As frustrating as it is to watch, unless she's abusing him, it's her call to seek help--or not.
It would be a nice option for families who need it and can't afford it on their own.
Social life? Yeah right! My situation is basically the same as the OPs. If it can't be done during daylight hours with a baby and a 4-year old with ASD, it ain't happening.
Based on your description that does sound a lot like auditory processing versus ADHD. After all if you get bombarded with input that you don't understand you probably get nervous and fidgety too. The best analogy that I can think of is if you had to listen to someone talking in another language all day long. After a while your brain starts to tune out.
It's important to me, personally, so I make an effort to make it happen as much as possible. The expectations are flexible but the overall idea--we sit down at the table and eat together stays the same. The kids are welcome to get up and leave the table if they start getting fidgety and are not interested in staying as long as the adults.
Aufilia has made a really important point about the issues involved in discipline and the complicating presence of disabilities.
Kathteach pretty much summed it up. Just another voice saying yes a diagnosis is useful. Establishing early eligibility for needs you may have later is a good idea, IMO, and 3-6 is a really important window of time for trying interventions and getting a good foundation of skills in place.
Both of my kids were pretty refluxy.   And they both grew out of it after awhile.  One persisted until about 8 months, the other grew out of it around 3 or 4 months.   Until they do, laying flat won't work for you.  Things that worked for me:  baby slept on me propped up on recliner (months 0-2), we used a wedge in the bassinette so it was inclined, and often when the baby was older naps took place in the bouncy seat, swing, or carseat.    "My pediatrician says that...
My sympathies to you, sleep deprivation is no fun, especially when you're working, and some babies are just terrible sleepers (no matter what you do or don't do).   Like Cynthia said, my guesses, based on what little you've said, some possibilities are something digestive in nature (a new food that's causing issues), or teething (if it came out of nowhere).    If you want to hire a sleep coach, go for it, but keep in mind that many in that profession are very pro-CIO,...
Ive seem a fair amount of this in special education classrooms... Usually by the time they get to high school they have had plenty of time to grow out of it, or learn replacement behaviors, or boundaries...at least somewhat. I don't know how people teach kids to reduce the amount of unsolicited affection... Guessing redirection or substitution plays a part in that. So maybe limiting, maybe redirection, maybe behavior modification...or all of the above. It's worrisome,...