or Connect

Posts by praha

That's awesome information.  I just got called in for a second interview, so now I'm 90% sure-ish about the move.     Googling wildly. . . .
Thanks so much for your helpful ideas.  I'll check out those websites as well as the Silver Spring and Takoma Park areas. 
I recently interviewed for a position in downtown Washington DC, and although I haven't yet been offered the job, I'm about 80% confident that I'll get an offer.  I really, really need the work, but I'm freaking out a little bit about this potential move.  My family (me, DH, DD14) is currently living in Phoenix, Arizona.  We'll be taking several cats and a small parrot with us.  My daughter will be entering high school in the fall.  And, oh yeah, I'm currently 29 weeks...
I would love a buddy.  My guess date is June 13.  Anyone expecting around the beginning or end of June (to minimize the chance we'll be laboring simultaneously)?
I thought I'd share this just in case other mamas are having similar issues buying for baby.  I think I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to baby gear, but I do have a few items on my list.  I've been watching my local thrift stores like a hawk, but not having much luck -- most of the good deals were on "mainstream" parenting items like diaper genies and things I simply don't have the desire or room for.   However, I scored big at a consignment sale this weekend:...
Someone else who knows more can chime in. . . .   EC stands for Elimination Communication, which involves following your baby's cues about pooping/peeing so that you can potty them from the very beginning.  I didn't attempt it with my first daughter but have a book and will give it a try part-time with this one.  Worldwide, many cultures don't rely on diapers the way we do -- mothers get to know when the baby's about to poop and catch it in a...
A little update -- DH and DD announced on Facebook yesterday, and have gotten lots of good wishes.  I'm happy they're both getting some acknowledgement and happy responses.   Yellow73 -- your idea about seeking out other parents is a good one.  I plan to attend a few LLL meetings once I hit the 3rd trimester.  DH and I will also be attending a modified Bradley class sponsored by our midwives -- hoping we'll meet other like-minded people there as...
How is your diaper-making project going?  I've been doing something similar -- using old t-shirts and scraps from around the house, plus flannel receiving blankets from Goodwill.  The blankets cost me about $1 each, and I can get one 4x8x4 prefold out of each.  Not sure if that's really a good deal or not -- but the prints are cute.    The last little person I diapered is now 14 years old, and the diaper scene seems to have gotten more complex since then.  I'm trying...
Oh, good ideas!  I lurve the idea of a baby carrier for DD14.  She's been ogling some fabrics at http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome but hasn't come up with a project to use them.  They're a little pricey but would be worth it for something special.  Maybe we can make a simple ring sling. . . .   Also, you reminded me:  she recently picked out a "little sister" shirt for the baby, and complained that there were no "big sister" shirts in her size.  I'll look into...
Could I please join in as well?  I just posted about trying to find ways to celebrate this pregnancy and birth.  This would be a great way to start!  (And I already have some ideas for some awesome beads to share with all of you.)  Thanks!