or Connect

Posts by Nan411

Not sure if I can offer any helpful advice but I am in the same boat. I'll be 29 next month....pushing 30 and never really got my career off the ground. I had my first child at 19 when I was a sophomore in college and because It was difficult going to school and taking care of a baby, I decided to major in something "easy" (Child Development and family studies). After graduating at 23 I worked for about a year as a preschool teacher but then got pregnant with my son and...
I take showers every other day or every third day but thats more because we are in the midst of a bathroom remodel lol. I also fill a tub with soapy water when handwashing dishes instead of letting it run. I've been trying to get my husband to tear out the lawn and put in low maintenance landscaping but he is not open to it at this time. I think its a waste of water.
Hi, Yes we have about 18k in an online cd that serves as our emergency fund. My goal is to get it up to 20k by the end of the year. 20k is enough for us to live on for a year if neither of us were able to work for some reason. 
Hi everyone, I could use some input ASAP. My husband and I have been house hunting for about two months now. The housing market in SoCal is fierce right now. Home prices went up about 20 percent in December (the greatest increase in 6 years) there is low inventory right now which makes the competition really tough. Places get 5-10 offers the first day on the market and they are being bid up tens of thousands of dollars , at least in our price range. We have made like 9...
I love this thread too. It's funny because dh is always making fun of my grandma sweaters. He says I dress just like his mother.   My secret granny likes:   -Cardigans/Knit sweaters and coats -embroidery, knitting, sewing (although I'm just learning to do these things I've always wanted to) -Mary Jane shoes/Keds - PBS -Gardening    I need lots of sleep and I take a multivitamin every day. I also have asthma so I carry my inhaler and allergy meds...
Thank you for the honest feedback. She has expressed interest in being homeschooled but I just don't know that she is ready to be responsible and self directed. I think she has the idea that it will be me sitting there and instructing her and giving her worksheets or something. Although she is a smart girl she is somewhat immature and that is what worries me. I will need to talk to her and make sure she is truly commited because if she slacks off or falls behind it will...
The other day I was at Costco and saw a pretty cool looking Calligraphy kit that caught my eye. It came with a book, pens, and paper.
Hi, I'm asking this for my little sister who is 13. She is going to be in High school next year. She has not done well in Middle School. We live in a not so great neighborhood. (My family and I currently live with my mother and her while we save up for our own place.)   The neighborhood is working class neigbhorhood with a primarily hispanic/african-american/philipino population. (We are Hispanic) The school she goes to is rough and there are a lot of fights, kids...
    Well, I agree that some of it is socialization but I think a lot is biological too. When dd was younger I was stressed about PT too. DH had a friend w/ a girl about dd's age and  that poor girl was always getting yelled at, shamed and made to sit on the toilet for long periods of time. I felt bad for her and was not looking forward to it.     I was feeling pressure to PT when I read in a Child Development textbook (I was working on my BA in Child Development) that...
Thanks heatherdeg. I will check out that book. You're right. It is a vicious cycle and they both antagonize each other so I don't know how to deal with it. Unfortunately, we are in a small studio right now so dd doesn't really have her own space. This makes thing worse because dd can't retreat into her own room. Hopefully, things will get better once dd goes back to school. While I like having her home, I feel as if it's thrown off the routine that ds and I had. I had...