or Connect

Posts by margarettim

DD is one. She has had a pillow and blanket since she was 9 moths. She loved putting her head on our pillows and cuddle, so we realized she is ready for her own pillow. She sometimes fiddles with the pillowcase, but never got herself in a dangerous position, so all seems fine.
It feels reassuring to hear that others are facing the same issues. DD is one. If she doesn't get her way, i.e. watching a dvd again, she throws herself on the floor in protest. I was really taken aback when she did this for the first time. Redirection often works, she likes swiching on/off lights and forgets her disappointment. I am amazed how intense her emotions can be. But, on the other hand, she can be crying on the floor one minute and playing happily the minute...
Hi, I remember, how devastated I felt when I put my newborn DD tummy to tummy in a stretchy wrap and she did not like it and cried for dear life. It took us a while, but we figured out that when we pre-tied and then popped DD in, the wrap was too tight, which my baby did not like. We went to a babywearing group and were shown a different way to tie tummy to tummy with our stretchy wrap: like you tie woven wraps. The main difference was that we put DD on our body and tied...
Hi, we do not have a car or stroller and use public tranport to get to places. It is cold here, too (Alberta), so I am facing similar issues as you. I wear dd (20 pounds) underneath my jacket, on my front in either a wrap or mei tai. She usually has a long sleeved sirt, a thin cardigan and a tin jacket (just shell , no fleece), tights and lined jeans. If the ride is longer than 10 min and she wants to get out of the carrier, I let her sit on my lap, stand on the seats...
I bought a Suse Kinder coat recently. I like the design - feels like a normal outdoor jacket. The sleeves of the fleece insert are a bit too long, so that they poke out from underneath the shell, but this can be an assett, as it keeps your wrists and hands warm. The drawback is that I am not able to zip it up completly if worn without the baby, my neck is left exposed.  When my baby is on the front (she is 20 pound) and is wearing only light indoor clothing, I can zip...
I mostly use a woven wrap (Didymos) for my 20 pound DD. It distributes her weight evenly, so is gentle on my back or shoulders. It is comfortable for long walks. It takes a while to learn how to tie, but you can do it. My DH mastered it too, after a bit of encouragement and practice. DD likes to have her arms out in a front carry. I use the back carry when she is grumpy and needs to fall asleep. Works a treat. I occasionaly use Babyhawk mei tai because of its...
Many thanks to both of you, Panonym and Ola. You have been very helpful. I will certainly start doing my homework and will start contacting the midwives now. When I think about the wait lists,  can I be on wait lists of lets say 2 midwives or are you supposed to be just on one? Another question about estimated due date. My first baby is 9 months, still breastfed and my periods have not returned yet. If I got pregnant befere the first period, then there might be...
Well, it might help to point out that in other countries, e.g. the UK midwifery care is the norm for a healthy pregnancy. You don't get to see an OB unless there is a problem. When I was pregnant  and planning a homebirth in the UK, I usually said that I would like to birth at home if all was well. (It was). I never had a negative reaction, people just said that I was brave:- . For me going into the hospital is hard, not birthing at home.  
Hi, I would need some tips about getting into a midwife's care so that I can birth at home. I am new to Edmonton and Canada and still discovering how things work here. My first baby was born at home in the UK with an NHS midwife. Great experience, on the whole. Now we are trying for our second baby. I understand it's hard to get into a midwifery care here in Edmonton as there is just very few midwives, so time might be of essence. When I find out I am pregnant, do I...