or Connect

Posts by faithrainbow

My daughter is three months old and I nurse her to sleep initially, but if she stirs or wakes I shush and pat her till she falls back to sleep.  Most of the time this works really well, unless she's not tired anymore, or if she's actually hungry, in which case of course I feed her.  But she doesn't seem to have any trouble with the fact that the shush-back-to-sleep routine is different from the initial put-to-sleep routine.  I also use the shush-back-to-sleep if she wakes...
I discovered that my baby (now 11 weeks) actually gets tired before 90 minutes--she usually starts showing little signs around 45 minutes after waking up and if I start putting her to sleep then she'll drift off quite easily. If I am not able to put her down then, the process is much harder when we finally get to it. When I realized just how little she wants to be awake before sleeping again, almost all of her fussiness disappeared (except a little in the evening before...
Lilac, congrats on your rollers! How exciting! And how great and interesting that they did it within three days of one another. It's fun to hear what your little guys are doing since they're a few weeks ahead of many of us.
Hi Ladies!   Sophie and I are doing great.  Sophie gave me a nice little reminder of how great she is normally, by being extremely fussy all day yesterday (6am to 8:30pm).  Dunno what was going on with her; today she was back to her relatively-easygoing self.  We have continued to do fabulously in the sleep department.  She naps lots during the day and then she's been sleeping for (drumroll, please!) NINE hours in a row at night!  I don't know if this will continue or...
how much you should expect to pay depends on where you live. Ask other moms in your area how much they pay, or go to care(dot)com and it will tell you how much sitters and helpers normally earn in your area if you enter your zip code. Good luck!
Sophie is not interested in the swing at all, which is kind of a bummer. She'll tolerate being in it if she's awake and in a good mood, but seems just as happy --or more happy-- hanging out on the couch with the boppy.
I second what all these ladies say, and I just wanted to add that I used to have a home daycare and frequently kids who were poor sleepers at home napped just fine with me, even the ones who were used to being nursed to sleep, or had a certain lovey, or needed things exactly right at home. Even that young, kids get that things are different with different people. You deserve a break so you can be replenished and enjoy your daughter again, and a good caregiver who will...
Yes, missing DH at night was one of my reasons for setting Sophie up in her nursery (he is a light sleeper and has a hard time falling back to sleep when he wakes in the night. Not like me!). I set up the monitor on low right next to my head so that I hear it (hopefully) before it wakes him up. The first few nights in the nursery Sophie slept for six hours in a row for the first time ever(!) but after three nights she went back to her normal 4.5, followed by 3 then 2.5....
Poly, good to hear from you! Those pix are awesome! What a little cutie.
Our sleep has completely shifted for the better in the past week. I've been reading/working off of the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," and it gave me a couple of good tips. The thing that made a big difference for me for daytime naps was the idea that you need to put your baby to sleep. This may seem obvious to everyone else, but I had somehow assumed that babies this young simply sleep when they need it, wherever they are, and you don't really have to worry...