or Connect

Posts by JOYFUL1014

Hi Amanda!  You might consider attending a La Leche League meeting sometime.  One of the leaders is actually a labor & delivery nurse, and several of the leaders are active doulas.  They'll be able to fill you in on all the details!  
Tough situation, purplerose.  Sounds like you're just going to have to grin & bear it 'til ball season ends.  I agree that it is difficult to be around people who are so different.  I don't think you'd be out of line, though, to gently remind her that children are around when she's using foul and aggressive language.  She may decide she wants to sit somewhere else!
Thanks again for the replies.  Caedenmomma, I completely understand!  MIL is on the "Ella" bandwagon, even after we had a very long discussion about the importance of the name.  Just another insult to injury in our case, though.  Sorry you're dealing with the same sort of issue.  My MIL even misspelled it on the First Birthday card!  I can just imagine the conversation years from now.  "Mom, why did Grandma spell my name wrong?"   HollyBearsMom, you bring up a good...
Thanks for the replies.  I guess I'm just so surprised that people completely ignore the fact that she's called by two names and need a tactful way to respond.  I'm beginning to feel like if someone's going to have hurt feelings, it isn't going to be me!   When I was in the business world, I was always taught how important names are, and I've seen it over and over again firsthand.  Just last week we were at a restaurant and the waitress's name was Tarra (Tar-ah,...
My daughter, Ella Caraway, is named for my husband's and my paternal grandmothers.  My grandmother, Ella Brady, was called by both names, and so the name "Ella" by itself really doesn't mean anything to me.  It doesn't really even sound like a complete name to me because I'm so used to hearing it followed by "Brady".  Anyway, when people ask my daughter (18-months old), "What's your name?"  I always say, "She's Ella Caraway."  And they say, "Oh, hello Ella."  Then I say,...
My 14 month old daughter caught the cold her father and I had.  She really began to show symptoms last Wednesday.  Additionally, we felt sure she was teething....night waking, biting her hand, etc.  She is teething:  1 upper molar has broken skin on the sides, white bumps on one bottom molar, and both molars on the right side are just beneath the blisters.   About Friday she quit taking any solids (not really alarming since she mainly just played with 10 grains of...