or Connect

Posts by fremontmama

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows: 1) Post the books you read ... or not 2) Post a recommendation ... or not 3) Number your book ... or not 4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2012 ... or not 5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)    Happy reading everyone!
Oh, that would be fun!  Thanks!  Sadly, our $79 Kindle is broken already, and my husband just bought it for me for my birthday in December.  The screen is all f'ed up.  He can't find his receipt of course.  I keep telling him to call Amazon and see what they'll do.   The lifting weights one sounds interesting!  I used to lift weights in high school and college as part of my work out.  I could bench 100 pounds at one point!  I was pretty proud of that.  :)
  Welcome MrsGregory!     I enjoyed that book, the next one is on my list for sure!     I added these to my list!  Thanks for the suggestion!     Sounds fascinating!     That last one does sound pretty gripping!!!   Oh, those sound good!  
What is one “healthy habit” you’d like to share with other Mothering.com moms?   Well---lots of fresh fruits and veggies helps a lot at our house.  And we subscribe to a local CSA weekly produce box, and from June through October our house is full of fresh veggies.  Green smoothies are a great healthy habit!
PS--started the May thread.  Can't believe it's May!!   http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1352205/may-2012-book-challenge
Holy Mackerel it's May!!!    So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows: 1) Post the books you read ... or not 2) Post a recommendation ... or not 3) Number your book ... or not 4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2012 ... or not 5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)    Happy reading everyone!
#14 Battle Royale by Koushon Takami I picked this up b/c so many comparisons were made between it and The Hunger Games.  True, there was a group of teenagers fighting to the death in a game the government set up.  That's about the only similarity though.  Way more gruesome than The Hunger Games, I found myself skimming in a few parts.  It's all game, each character gets a little back story.  I'm glad I read it just to compare it, but I'm not jumping up and down about...
We've got kind of a slow thread this month!  I have more books to post, lemme get organized and I'll come back to post them. :)  
So, somehow, even though it says I'm subscribed to daily updates, I'm not getting emails?  Weird right?  I can't figure out what box I haven't checked.....   Also, any great book club book ideas?  We read The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver last time.  We somehow always end up reading books on the tragic side of things, and I'd like to veer more towards a rollicking ride of a good read.  Any ideas?  So far I have The Sisters Brothers, and Half Broke Horses....We usually try...
#2 The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee Pretty good story about an Englishwoman in China after WWII--it reminded me a lot of Empire of the Sun b/c the story went back and forth with pre-war, during war, and after war storyline.    #3 Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea Wanted to love, story about a group of teenagers, mostly girls, in rural Mexico.  Their town is mostly women b/c almost all of the men are in the US working.  Gangsters have taken over...