or Connect

Posts by Courtney-Ostaff

My daughter just got 4 root canals, which yes, I feel horrible about.   Bottom line: cavities are infections caused by bacteria (all dentists should know this!).  Where do the bacteria come from? Same place your colds, flu, stomach bugs, etc do - other people. Little kids pick up bugs!  If your child uses a utensil/drinks after/eats after a child/adult whose saliva contains bad bacteria, then, yes, they can pick up cavity causing bugs.     Just like other bugs,...
I know I'm a heathen here for suggesting it, but do you have an ipad?  It doesn't require mouse skills, you can easily control content, and there are tons of great learning app on it. My 3 yr old loves the Montessori math app, for example.  And if he's reading, there are lots of age appropriate books, and my favorite, books with music where the words light up as they're sung.
I'd get gates, just in case. Hardware mounted!!!  They're much more difficult for a wee one to push over.  And, if you're worried about the wee one climbing over them ('cause my daughter totally could, but she just doesn't bother), stack two, one on top of the other. That will put paid to that issue!  Depending on the kind you get, it can be an easy latch for you.  Plus, since you're having another one soon, once you have the hardware in place, you don't need to worry...
@BlueBackPacks: I apologize if I came across too harshly. It's hard to edit one's tone on line!  I like your point that "There is a false dichotomy in assuming that parenting with boundaries/structure/discipline isn't attachment parenting." Part of having your child's trust is knowing when to use that trust to good effect--e.g., setting boundaries. I'm actually more liberal than most parents I know, and I always tell my daughter why she can't do something.  I'm eagerly...
  I firmly agree about the need to teach self-regulation of emotions, etc. I would, perhaps, disagree about the need for rules to teach self-regulation. Research shows that external, arbitrary rule imposition does not, in fact, teach self-regulation.  What does teach self regulation is unconditional love, acceptance, and meeting their needs from birth.  Infants are incapable of "manipulating" adults.  This isn't to say that routines are bad, but that forcing very young...
  I'm a big reader, and I liked:   Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Th...by Jane Nelsen Ed.D. The Nursing Mother's Companion: Revised Edition by Kathleen Huggins What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life by Lise Eliot Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain by Sue Gerhardt Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves: Transforming Par... by Naomi, Ph.D....
I empathize completely. My daughter just turned 3, and it's hard to compete with television for "electronic babysitting." Remember, our brains process faces on the TV screen the same way we process "real life" friends. To your child, seeing Diego or Dora or whoever is like seeing a familiar, comforting friend to play with.  It's natural for a child to ask to play with a friend when they're bored or lonely or out of sorts. We adults like seeing our friends when we feel...
My husband brought home this: http://www.amazon.com/Kidz-Delight-Silly-Talking-Broom/dp/B000MWFQE6
My daughter is just now 3.  Her favorite toys right now:   other kids an indoor trampoline the dogs & cats our chameleons a fishtank Magna-Tiles, Legos and blocks (she's getting tinker-toys for Christmas) puzzles playing soccer/with balls Peg people animal figures a couple of favored stuffed animals crayons/markers/paint books (we are big on the public library) that we read to her. She's beginning to "read" to...