or Connect

Posts by Courtney-Ostaff

I suggest reading Positive Discipline for Preschoolers. Great book for practical applications.  Remember to always give them choices:  "Either you stop jumping on the sofa, or I'm going to go to my room to cool off, and locking the door behind me.  One. Two. Three.  OK, you're still jumping -- I'm outta here."   Remember, you can't make them do anything.  You can only make the consequences dire enough that they choose to change their behavior.
Hah!  It can take a loonnnnng time for them to poop in a potty. It's perfectly normal (and usually the case) that they will pee in a potty months before they will poop in it.  I mean, come on, who wants to live in fear of cold water on your butt?  I suggest a trainer potty readily available (like in the living room, in our case), oodles of patience, and some casual roadblocks. "Oh, you want a diaper?  OK, but you have to pull it up yourself."  Or, "Oh, you need to poo?...
Read Positive Discipline for Preschoolers.   Never hit your children. Ever. They're hitting each other because that's what you do to them. If you want them to stop something, you "bopped her mouth".  So naturally, if one of them wants the other to stop something, they're going to "bop her mouth."  
I don't do daycare, so I try and keep my 3-yr-old daughter socialized (and me sane):   story time at the public library -- free swimming class -- $75/semester (14 weeks) music class -- $130/semester (14 weeks) playgroup -- free   I was going to pony up $185 for dance class for the spring semester (16 weeks), but that didn't go well. (They don't allow parents in the room, and she wasn't having any of it.)   I also do odd-ball one-offs, like...
  Maybe she really just can't.  My extrovert mother never understood me, either, and kept pushing me to try new things.  It's like pushing against a brick wall.  I literally threw up every single morning before school, my social anxiety was that bad. I begged my mother to home school me, but she couldn't, because she had to work.  I used to dream of dying rather than go to school.  And it's not even like I was a social reject.  Nobody picked on me, I got invited to the...
  Hah! I tried that today at a dance class for my 3 yr old daughter, and my kid had hysterics.  The teacher actually picked her up, brought her out to me, and said, "Try again next year."
Perhaps you should move your afternoon snacktime for the kid closer to dinnertime, so it's not tortuous.  Perhaps he could "help" make dinner, so he knows when it's done?  At 2 1/2, he should be able to set the table, with perhaps the exception of heavy, breakable plates.  Also, perhaps you two can eat something simple earlier, and then eat a late snack with your husband?
I wouldn't worry about pronunciation for a loooong time.  Also, English grammar is ridiculously irregular.  That's why so many of our kids have trouble with literacy.  Pronouns in English are also used irregularly. Just be glad that your kid can use them at all!!     See...
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/joint.html
  Do you give your toddler vitamins/supplements?   Usually only when she's sick, and not eating much.   Are they breastfeeding?    Until 2 1/2. Stopped due to caries.   If so, will you give one when they wean?      Usually only when she's sick, and not eating much.     Any tips on brands or things to look for in a vitamin/supplement?   I really think that if you're aware enough of your diet that you think about it, that you really...