or Connect

Posts by Courtney-Ostaff

Daddy is the one with the problem.  If small child is slow to warm up, or transitions slow, it's perfectly normal in a 2 yr old.  He needs to adjust his attitude and his expectations, or he can kiss the relationship with the kid goodbye.  If he's tense about it, then the kid will pick up on that.  And besides, no one likes to have affection demanded of them!!  He needs to apologize to the child for forcing affection from him, and do something nonphysical -- watch some...
Yeah, this happens. My daughter is on a soft/liquid diet (long story) for the weekend, and I just found pee on the floor.  She normally scampers about naked, and is really good about going to the potty we have in the living room, so it was a surprise.  I think she just forgot to keep in touch about it. I find that regularly reminding (like every 45 minutes) is helpful.  
Have you seen a doctor?  I think that should have cleared up by now. Perhaps rotavirus? Rotavirus can cause severe diarrhea in infants and young children; vomiting and fever often also occur during the illness.    Diarrhea doesn't allow for adequate nutrition. When children and adolescents don't get adequate nutrition for as little as a week, growth slows in the long bones in their arms and legs.    Clear liquids only until his digestive tract stabilizes. Solids...
"it's the 20th time that he grabs my fingers to lead me to his room so he can flip the light switch off and on while I am in the middle of cooking something on the stove that I am trying to find solutions for. "   Why not just let him stand on a chair and flip it on and off by himself?  Or have him help stir, or "chop", or "wash" dishes while you work.  Etc.     If it's your attention that he's seeking, can you make sure that you get down on the floor,...
I held off on nuts until 2, but we eat meat, so I wasn't worried about protein.   re: baby food mill.....the thing is, I never bought baby food, pureed or otherwise that we actually used for a meal. I'd keep it in the car for a backup or whatever.  She just started grabbing food off my plate at 4 months, and I was afraid she'd choke, so I bought the baby food grinder to make sure choking wasn't an issue.  Now that you mention it, about 12 months or so, she decided...
We didn't have her watch TV at all until about 18 months, and then my husband stayed home with her and she watched it with him.  He went back to work in April and since then it had been a struggle. So, I decided last month I was going to never say no until she quit asking. Lo and behold, she got bored with it in a bout a week,a nd never asks any more.
Perfectly normal. My daughter is generally naked at home.  If I psych her up for going out, she knows that she has to wear clothes out of the house, so she's more willing ot put them on then
Around here, the Salvation Army, to whom I do not normally donate, does Angel Trees with the local DHHR for foster kids, etc.  So, when I had a teenager in the house, I made her help me shop for the "angel" that we picked, wrap, and drop off.  We also have pets, and taking care of the pets is a good foundation.  I agree that joining an age-appropriate group to foster volunteerism is a good method. Locally, 4-H and Girl Scouts are popular.     My daughter is three,...
@handspun: I mispoke -- I was thinking of HPV, which can also cause mouth sores -- and it's also fairly common. HSV isn't directly linked to cancer, though it is ubiquitous. My uncle died of oral cancer, so I learned a lot about it.  I highly recommend  The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee   as for info:    http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/index.htm biological factors include viruses and fungi, which have been...
See, about 15 months, my daughter flat-out refused to wear a diaper. I mean, it would take three adults to hold her down to put a diaper on.  However, she would be happy as a clam to pull up her own pull-up.  We did pullups for 9 months, until I was ready to potty train (long story).