or Connect

Posts by Courtney-Ostaff

The thing to remember about 1 yr olds is that they have TINY appetites. 2 tablespoons is a serving, whereas that's a condiment for us.   I just got a Kidco grinder and let her eat whatever we were having.  Made us eat healthier, for sure!
We use lots of tp, and I hold her up a little bit.
Here's my thought for my 38 month old.     Last summer (2 1/2) or so, I introduced her to the concept of please as a magic word, and made a big deal out of everyone in the house modeling it for her.  When she was confused, I reminded her by saying, "What's the magic word?!"  and if she forgot, we all chimed in, "Please!"  Then she would mimic us, and say "please!"  I kept it very upbeat and laid back.  If she didn't say please, she didn't get it, but I wasn't harsh...
My 38 month old pretty much eats what we eat, with some exceptions. I don't make her try food (I do ask her to smell it), and I generally add in a carb for her.   Right now, she's eating lunch, which consists of about 1/2 cup sliced pot roast, sans gravy, 1/2 cup of wagon-wheel pasta, 1/2 cup of baby carrots, and 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce.  She has 1 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of apple cider in it to drink.  (wagon wheel pasta is the added carb)   For...
Why do they need to *draw* blood at all?  My pediatrician's office just used two quick heel sticks -- one for iron and one for blood.     My 3-yr-old daughter had to have dental surgery in early December, and she is still not cool with anyone restraining her in any way.  I don't blame her -- I wouldn't want to be restrained either!     If someone has to restrain your child, you should do it, if at all possible.  She trusts you, and so it lessens her fear by not...
Hah -- at that age, my daughter was still nursing to sleep.  And we co-slept, though she slept through the night at 4 weeks.  Don't knock reading to sleep, though -- I know people who started as infants it works well for them.  OTOH, I worry that my daughter will find books inherently sleep-inducing now :)   I also know people who wear their babies to sleep.
Yes and no.  My one firm rule is that we all sit down like the Cleaver family every night, about 5pm and have a real meal, together, with no toys, etc.  She's allowed to get up and leave when she's done.  For the other meals, she can eat on the sofa or at her kids table.  She's never wanted to walk around with her food.
My daughter transferred to a toddler bed squished between our bed and the wall at 2 1/2, and it's worked out great so far.  Like the second poster's daughter, she does sometimes get cold in the middle of the night and snuggles back with us.  I'm tempted to sneak in an electric blanket, but then I get thinking of EM fields....She likes having her own space.
At 2 1/2, we transferred from nursing to sleep (dental issues) to Daddy reading her to sleep.  Worked like a charm.  YMMV
I bought some Totes from JC Penny, and she loves 'em. Got 'em this year and last year, too.  Zip up, nearly knee high, thermo-insulate lined, and waterproof.  Less than $20 per pair, free shipping.   http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=73635&CatID=73635&Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=192d149