or Connect

Posts by cat13

I've been in a somewhat similar situation of knowing I have to work and wishing to be a SAHM. Luckily I'm quitting my job next week, but have been working since my maternity leave was over at 8 weeks PP (DS will be 11 months when I stop working).   I can't really address your partner's second concern, because I don't know your financial situation. I know a lot of moms here on MDC have told me that if I really wanted to be a SAHM, I just had to go for it and it would...
I'm not a SAHM, but I will be next month when I quit my job. DH has been a SAHD and finishing his degree at night/on weekends since I went back to work when DS was 2 months old. He's almost 10 mo now.   DH says that he's jealous that he doesn't have the same resources that moms have like MDC or the mom groups in the neighborhood. He knows that he can still join even though he's a guy, but he doesn't want to be the only guy there. Also, as much as he LOVES DS and...
What do you mean when you say he gets bored? My DS is 9.5 months old and doesn't really have much patience or interest in toys. He mostly picks them up and then throws them back down again before moving on the the next thing. I don't see it as him being bored as much as he just loves to go-go-go. Ever since 5 months, he has been so focused on gross motor skills like crawling and now almost-walking that he kind of ignores everything else, but I think that's just who he is...
I'm so sorry! I hate when nursing isn't going well. Sometimes it's the only time we mamas get to sit and relax and cuddle with our LOs, so it's no good when they fight back :(   Do you think he's doing it because he's fidgety? If so, can you give him something else to fidget with? A nursing necklace or stuffed animal? My DS doesn't care for nursing necklaces and didn't like the first few stuffed animals I tried, but eventually I found a really soft stuffed monkey...
Usually I find that people ask about sleep because it's just what we are culturally trained to ask (like asking a pregnant woman if it's a boy or a girl). They don't really care, it just comes out. For those people I usually just say something like, "Oh, you know how babies are" and smile. For the judgmental kind of person who is just asking as an opening to give their "advice" I usually just say "we have our own little sleep routine that's working for us."   I have...
Like others, I try to reduce the number of bags that I use, so things like apples and such go straight to the cart. I do like the bags for lettuce and other greens, or little things like brussel sprouts.   I save all my plastic bags from bread, bagels, etc and bring them with me. These don't need to get washed out and I just shake out the crumbs over the sink.   I go to a pretty mainstream grocery store and they don't really care if I use those. I just have to...
  Thanks for replying. I was just about to take a screenshot when I realized that it's already back to normal. Thanks anyway!
Oh my goodness, what cutie pies!!! You must still be in Portland if you connect with Ellie & Italiamom, how fun! I might be heading that way for a week in early August, but haven't finalized the details yet. If I do, I can't wait to have a big ol MDC get together :) 
I grew up in tiny, low-income apartments all my life, so I guess I find myself wanting to break out of that. Although by looking at that blog, I think my idea of a 'big house' is probably considered tiny for the average American. I just want a 3 bedroom house, rooms can be small but the living room/kitchen area should be open with lots of windows. And a large deck/porch/lanai outside. To me, that's a big house!  
  Same here. I live on an island where it's common to have tsunamis and lava (not near my house, thankfully) and earthquakes, so I just have some items for a few days without power or services: 5 gal water, few canned goods & granola bars, first aid kit, candles, batteries, flashlights, etc, all near my camping equipment. Quite a few people in my area have water catchment too, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.   But I don't put much time into worrying about things...