or Connect

Posts by green betty

Where do you live?  It *is* illegal in Canada.  You can't strike a child with an object, and you can't hit a kid under 2 or over 12 here.
My dh and I both work full time from home.  We have a nanny come in ~30 hours a week and basically play, do art projects, bake, and read books with our 6 year old while I do most of my work (we both work in the evenings after he goes to bed, too).  We love this arrangement, especially because we get to stay connected all day even if we're doing separate things. Our son can interrupt both of us if he has something exciting to share or needs a "Mommy break". He's such...
Do you know what the #1 heath and safety hazard that most child face today is?  It isn't disease.  It isn't unhealthy ingredients in our food.  It isn't dangerous sports. It isn't crazy people shooting up schools.   It's riding in cars.  Especially on highways.  The most risky thing most parents ever do with their child is drive them around.  (Don't take my word for it--go look up statistics about child mortality and car accidents.  The internet is lousy with them.)...
Just the other day we were at the grocery store and an employee told my son he'd better be good if he wants Santa to bring him a present.  He looked at me and said, "Is that true?  Does Santa only bring you a present if you're good?"  I said, "Well, some people believe that, what do you think?"  He responded, "C'mon, just tell me.  Does he?"    I thought about it for a sec and said, "No, Santa doesn't give a crap how you behave.  He doesn't have to live with you.  He...
"What's more important, my idea about how things "ought" to be or our relationship?"  Some form of that question guides my parenting every day (I hope!) 
Thank you for your assistance.  Why is the default set to auto-subscribe?  It's not as if it's difficult to subscribe to a thread if you want to... why make that assumption?
Since the recent round of changes, it seems that every time I post on a thread, I get a barrage of emails from MDC to let me know that other people have posted on the thread.  They are unwanted and irritating.  If I wanted constant updates, I would subscribe to the thread (isn't that the point of subscribing to a thread?)   Can this problem be resolved?  Is there a way to opt out?  If not, I will stop participating on MDC.  A single or occasional email would be one...
I wish I had really understood that (most) newborns want to be held All. The. Time.  and been a little more prepared to do that.  I feel like I spent half of dc's infancy trying to put him down for a nap so I could sneak off and do something (dishes, computer time, laundry, etc.)  If I could do it over again I would practice with slings more during pregnancy and be prepared to really wear the baby 24/7 except showers, including while he was napping, and just done...
Glad I'm not the only one!  Zena for a girl; Oscar for a boy.
I guess I'm lucky in that this has only happened to me once, at a playgroup. I don't think it's very common here in Nova Scotia (at least, I hope not!) I was too shocked to come up with a thoughtful response--I just got up, gathered my kiddo, and left. Not my best moment, but it was better than any of the,um, unconstructive responses that came into my head! I think CIO is abusive, and not anywhere near the borderline. It's way in the red. I appreciate that people...