or Connect

Posts by green betty

Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree, then. I don't consider my comments an "attack", although I readily admit they are blunt. The OP asked for advice and I gave mine. I think an honest and introspective appraisal of her own behavior would be the very most helpful step to take in this situation. And do I consider it immoral to discuss the private sexual/romantic life of another person in a public internet forum without their knowledge (and with the suspicion or...
As I read this thread, it keeps occurring to me that spilling my teenager's private sexual/emotional/relationship business out on the internet seems a whole lot "trashier" than a hicky could ever be. Doesn't he deserve honesty, respect, and consideration from you? Does he know about this thread? What do you think he would say if he found out? If you want advice, I would suggest worrying a bit more about your own morals and behavior and a bit less on trying to control...
As far as saying grace or taking a moment of gratitude goes, I'm a big fan of the passive voice. "For all the bounty at our table, we are thankful." That works for pretty much everyone, no matter their beliefs. Or you can make a game of thanking everyone who took a part--the worms; the microbes; the farmers, both long ago and recently, who developed the plants to increase their yield; the farmers today who grew them; the workers who harvested them; the truckers who...
Personally, I'd recycle them. I would also not agree to a baptism, because I do not believe in original sin. I do not consider my child to be broken--he is therefore not in need of baptism, salvation, or any other reparative measure. I think a baby blessing or dedication to welcome him/her into a community you are part of is lovely, but quite different from a baptism. Christianity is very much part of our culture and understanding it is essential for understanding...
ITA what the librarians on this thread have said. If I was in a similar situation and I was concerned about my child's exposure to something graphic, I might nicely ask the teenager in question if s/he would mind waiting to watch the graphic content until we were gone, because I wasn't comfortable with my child's exposure. If that person consented to doing me that favor, I'd get our business done and hustle out quickish so as not to overly inconvience them. If the...
I would fire her ASAP. Even if you hadn't explained your standards of care to her before this happened (which I'm assuming you did) the fact that she was defensive and tried to tell you that babies need to learn to self-soothe would make it crystal-clear to me that she's the wrong nanny. Full stop. We've been through a lot of babysitters, and at this point I explicitly look for younger people with a bit of experience but not a lot, because those seem to be the people...
Hi! There are several of us on MDC. I live in Lunenburg on the South Shore, and I think it's pretty terrific here--affordable, temperate (way more so than CB and even more so than Halifax), gorgeous, and with hopping local arts and local food scenes. The Annapolis Valley is a little crunchier than here and has a lot to recommend it, but I'm a fool for the ocean view here on east side.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluegoat Wow. Do you not find it offensive when Christians talk this way about other religions? FWIW, an egg or rabbit is as good a symbol of resurrection to a Christian as it is of renewal to a pagan. It isn't like paganism somehow has a copyright on the natural world. And it isn't only a custom of Celtic origin either. Would you like to provide an example of another religion incorporating a Christian...
I haven't read this whole thread (just the first couple pages) but I thought I'd offer my experience... once while I was in seminary I took a class on American denominations at the Presbyterian seminary down the street from mine (UU). One day in class the professor asked who believed Mormons were Christians. I was very surprised to find my hand was the only one raised! My perspective was (and still is) that folks have the right to define themselves, and if Mormons say...
As a person of Celtic origin, I think of both Christmas and Easter as cultural holidays that are rooted in my ancestry, dating back to long before the Christians came along. We celebrate Easter to welcome the spring. It always amuses me to watch Christians try and justify what bunnies and eggs and other symbols of fertility have to do with Jesus, though--cultural appropriation at its finest.