or Connect

Posts by green betty

It seems to me that talking about the ethics of individual doctors is not the most productive place to stage this debate. What's the role of organizations like the AMA and the federal government? (Both of whom, I believe, have an obligation to the public to ensure that the range of services are reasonably available, ESPECIALLY in small towns and rural areas.) It should be possible to both respect the individual ethics AND work towards changing the cultural milieu so...
As a minister and former chaplain who has been asked to pray for people (when I'm not always necessarily comfortable doing so), I make a big distinction between "centering" prayer and "intercessionary" prayer. I define "centering" prayer as that which focuses intention and thoughts --either directed at a deity or not. Basically, the idea is that they are using their energy to effect the prayer. This is fine with me. "Intercessionary" prayer is asking a deity to...
I'm always a big fan of understanding the roots of things in order to gain perspective; I recommend A History of Pagan Europe by Prudence Jones and Nigel Pennick, Barnes & Nobles Books, 1995. It's a bit academically thick but hey, so's the history!
I've been lurking long enough; I figured I'd better pop out and introduce myself. I'm a pagan-theologied, Unitarian Universalist minister living in Nova Scotia. (American by birth, Canadian by choice! And marriage. And fear of Bush.) I'm a kitchen witch; I brewed up a big pot of soup to conceive by at Ostara this year. Worked like a charm. (I'm actually due Dec 11th but am hoping to go a bit longer to get close to Yule.) It's so wonderful for me to find this...
Finally! Today I saw an OB in my clinic's practice who respects my decision to forgo a routine u/s--and also bothered shaking my hand and introducing herself before sticking her fingers in my vagina! Where I live in Nova Scotia there are two options for birth: home birth with a direct entry midwife (none of whom I clicked with well enough to depend on entirely for birth care) or go to the same hospital as everyone else in a 40 mile radius. I've reluctantly chosen the...
Naming a girl "Zena" after my grandmother (NOT the warrior princess, I'm dismayed about that show) was a condition of marriage to dh, so that's set in stone. I'm waiting for him to suggest middle names, although I'm secretly favoring Margaret--it's my mil's name so that would please her, but in my heart we'd be naming her after Meg in A Wrinkle in Time and the other L'Engle books in that series. For a boy the strongest contender is Charles, a popular family name on...
Elisabeth here--due Dec. 11th. Although I have a sneaking suspicion it will go a bit longer.
We decided against a routine ultrasound so we're definitely going to be surprised. (Although before we made that decision we had thought that we'd find out but keep it a secret from all our family and friends who can't seem to help buying gendered crap.) I've always been set on naming a girl after my grandmother Zena, but the jury's still out on a boy's name. I'd like to have one picked and only change it if it really seems wrong once the baby's born. We're leaning...