or Connect

Posts by momof3tobe

That's a very interesting point- it could be some learned behavior. It sounds like you dealt with this some years ago but do you happen to remember the things that you said to your son that helped him understand?    
I agree I tend to want to solve my kids' problems for them but in this situation help was warented. He was yelling at my son for a whole 25 minute bus ride. The kids were specifically told not to get out of their seats and my son is a rule follower so he was just stuck sitting there and having to take that. When I went to the guidance counselor, my original intent was to ask her what would be the protocol for situations like this? What can I tell my son he should do if...
You are right- it wasn't one phone call to the guidance counselor that got him a one-on-one aide.  I will tell you the story that started my many many emails, phone calls, and personal visits to the guidance counselor- which I'm sure wasn't the whole reason he got an aide, but I'm hoping it helped.    A few days after school started, my son, Jack, (who was 6 at the time) came home crying.  He told me that Noah (the boy) was calling him "stupid, dumb, and the...
Thank you all for your advice and for making me aware that I am not coming across the way I would like.  I am going to get that book that one of the other moms suggested- thanks again!
I am sorry this is offending anyone, believe me that wasn't my intention.  I think I used was as precise language as a parent of a non-special needs child could.  Obviously if my child was hitting and teasing and taunting it would be called bullying.  If I was told my child was no longer allowed to ride the bus for the rest of the year because of poor behavior, I would consider him kicked off the bus.  I am sorry I am ignorant to the different phrases that pertain to...
I also want to add, before you question the authenticity of the post, that the reason he was on the smaller bus the previous year and then allowed to ride the bigger bus was because that summer he started a new diet specifically for epilepsy, which requires him to eat almost all fat- it is designed to re-set the brain and stop the seizures. So his mom got the neurologist to call the school and ask that he be allowed to try and ride the regular bus because she (the...

Ok whew! I actually have had very lengthy conversations with the mother and she told me that he had high functioning autism and epilepsy. She said all this appeared right after he got his 5 yr booster shots and he was totally fine before that. She knows he is bad but she blames it on him "being a boy." She told me that he was getting into too much trouble on the bus and she decided to drive him to and from school instead of having him take the other bus. The mother is a...
Yes I don't know why this mom won't help her son. We live in a condominium community so there's no backyards, just common play areas. So unfortunately the children spend the bulk of their play time trying to escape this boy and he relentlessly follows them around. I can't just tell him to go home because we're on common property. The reason why I felt his behavior might be related to his special needs is because one day all the kids ran into my house to get away from him...
My ds just stopped using his little potty a few weeks ago and he will be 6 on the 16th. We always took the potty with us on trips and just let him decide when he was ready to stop. He just came up to me one day and said "this potty is useless!" I said ok and that was that! I'm a big fan of letting kids decide these types of things for themselves. They feel so proud and grown up when they realize they are ready to take the next step- not anxious and angry that they are...