or Connect

Posts by momof3tobe

I have a 5 yr old ds who regularly wakes up at 4am and is wide awake. He shares a room with my 6 yr old ds so I can't turn on the tv or any lights and there's no way I'm going to let him get up and roam the house at that hour so our solution was to download a bunch of children's games on my iPhone and if he wakes up he lays in bed and plays the games with the sound turned off. He usually plays for about a half hour then puts it down and goes back to sleep. I know that's...
She's definitely too old for naps. When my boys were that age their sleeping schedule was 7pm-7am. We would take baths around 3pm and have dinner at 4 or 4:30 because if we tried to do anything besides veg out after 5pm we would have meltdowns. I know you mentioned that she doesn't watch much tv but cuddling on the couch and watching a movie was a peaceful way for us to make it to bedtime without the boys turning into monsters.
I named my dd Bridget because one night I was bored so I went to our bookshelf and randomly chose one of my dh's books to read. The first character mentioned in the book was a girl named Bridget and her birthday was April 29th. The next day I found out I was pregnant and that my due date was April 29th. I told my husband that if this baby was a girl I felt obligated to give her that name and he thought that was cool.
I love the book "Baby Magic".  The author has a great philosophy on raising children.
My ds is six years old and has a problem keeping his hands to himself. He doesn't hit or anything, but when he's talking to other kids he likes to put his hands on their shoulders or hold their hand. The other kids jerk away and say stuff like "quit it!" or "stop touching me" and he will for a while but then he forgets and does it again. I've told him that it makes the kids uncomfortable and that they don't like it and he understands that and says he'll stop but then...
My ds was four when he potty trained and we did the sticker chart. He got 1 sticker when he went pee and two for poop. When he filled up all the squares on the chart he got to go to target and pick out a toy. It was a pretty big chart so it took him about three weeks to fill it up but I bought a huge book of stickers and just being able to pick one out and put it on his chart seemed to keep his interest going.
I live in NJ and have been sending in religious exemption letters for my kids for years. It's just a very short letter that says, "in accordance with NJ law #(sorry I forget the specific number of this law but you can look it up online), we, the parents of (our child's name) state that based on our religious beliefs we refuse vaccinations for our child". And then we just sign the bottom. We have been using this same letter since our oldest was in preschool- every year when...
uh-oh. Yes the melatonin tends to wear off in a few hours- especially if you are only giving the smallest dose possible.  When I first started giving my ds it, he would wake up after two hours and then I would have to go lay in bed with him to get him back to sleep.  I told the nutritionist this and she told me to give him a higher dose but I wanted to see if we could work out the kinks without raising the dose.  It took a little while but his body finally adjusted to...
Thank you for your reply. The funny thing was, when he was in therapy, he would eat whatever I brought in without any problems. The therapist and I went through several foods from each food group and ds ate all of them- but only when we were with the therapist. When we got home if I tried to give him the same exact food he would gag on it and sometimes even vomit. So at this point I know he is physically able to eat most foods- there just something going on with him...
Please give me your opinion on whether you think I'm doing the right thing here, and suggestions on alternatives if you think it's necessary. So here goes: my oldest ds (6) is an extremely picky eater. He has had oral motor issues since birth and regularly choked on food. He had feeding therapy for a few years and that helped a little but he still has a very limited diet. I have chosen to not make a big deal out of it. It felt like we were spending so much time trying to...