or Connect

Posts by desertrose

I completed the evaluation for my almost 7 year old. Mathematical.
I don't necessarily have any advice, but I wanted to share with you my montessori experience. My son was 5 when I entered him into it, I had taken him out of a regular preschool that he seemed unhappy with, and tried him in the montessori. What I noticed immediately was the kids were very rude, not only to him, but to me as well. My son had been, not only in a preschool, but lots of other classes prior, and the kids were always sweet and friendly, so this was a very...
I used it while pregnant, even though a friend told me not to. I went slightly past my due date, had an uncomplicated speedy labor, and there were no birth defects in the baby.   Pharmaceutical antidepressants never helped me either, and I am certainly more worried about birth defects from those, than herbs. But that's just me. Also, it is my experience that, in general, MD's will tell you not to take herbs.   For any emotional issues during pregnancy, I swear by...
that's a very inspiring story. I'm so impressed with how far you've come, and I respect your determination and heart that got you there.    I notice your wise and supportive posts on mothering often. I've been wanting to tell you how alike our stories are (it's eerie), and I know what it's like to come from hard times, trying to change your life. I know what it's like to take a few wrong turns in life thinking it was the best and only thing to do at the time, and...
yeah, this is infuriating. IMO, it's insulting to mothers everywhere.   The funny thing is, correct me if I'm wrong, that SIDS is called SIDS because it's a sudden death due to unknown causes. Death from a parent rolling over onto a child would be suffocation.   Insinuating that a parent equates to a butchers knife is just wrong.    I agree, Beckybird, I think cosleeping is the least of our worries, and there must be an agenda. Put the focus on the attachment...
  First I want to tell you that for the past 2 weeks I've had crazy anxiety too. For no apparent reason. It's interesting we're both having it at the same time. I'm sorry it's so bad for you, and I can understand that out of control feeling and having to keep it together in front of the kids.   There's so many things that could be happening with you... if you're crying uncontrollably after being on this medication, I really wonder if you're on the correct...
Well, I'm glad it's not selective mutism, but it sounds just as difficult. You sound like a fabulous mommy and that you're doing the right thing for her. I'm glad things are looking up. :)  Interesting the similarities between you and I - thanks for sharing. It's comforting, actually. I had the same experience - that those relationships were stifling or otherwise unhealthy.   Hopefully she'll thrive with all the support. :)   I am curious why she's resisting the...
I'm curious - have you heard of selective mutism?  Mainly it's a disorder where the child shuts down in public and cannot speak - severe anxiety disorder. I had it and displayed all the symptoms your daughter is displaying - stomachaches, inability to separate from my mother healthfully (honestly because I did not feel SAFE or able to function when far away from her), nightmares, unable to attend fun functions like birthday parties, unable to participate in class, and...
I totally understand - I can't read large amounts off of the computer either.   What about Mother Earth News? Probably not much parenting stuff there though... I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I find anything. :)
Yes! It really is true! I know, I was shocked myself. I think on one hand they wanted to do a good deed, but certainly in hopes that it would bring in more business in the future, I'm sure.  And being that some, or many people have been pretty ungrateful for it, you can see why the magazine would not want to waste their money on them! Hence, only wanting to send it to people that appreciate it. Believe me, I'm upset about the mothering incident just like everyone else,...