or Connect

Posts by Birth Junky

We will be having our first homebirth sometime in the next week or two; DD is almost 3. We have two people "on call" to help out with DD whenever labor starts: my mom and a friend of mine who DD adores. We are also expecting the midwife, one or both of her students, and I have a list of assorted other support people we may or may not call, depending on how things go. (I'm feeling a distinct need to overprepare, as I have no idea what labor will be like--DD was born by...
Lemon Juice: That sucks BIG time. Janis: so sorry that you are dealing with the water pipe issue now! Stay-in-baby vibes for all of us!
Well, we have a gas stove and a gas fireplace, and plenty of candles--so at least we'd be fine for heat and cooking and (some) light. My big concern is the water heater and the labor tub . . . but we'll see how it goes; as long as my MW is okay with fumbling around by candlelight, I suppose I can forego the relaxation of water. Or this baby could just cooperate and stay in until 41 weeks or so, and wait until the snow is all gone and the storm over! (*fingers crossed*)
Mamas, I am freaking out a little right now. We had a major (for the Seattle area) snowstorm yesterday, resulting in 6" here where we are (surrounded by hills). They're forecasting temperatures below freezing through the weekend, more snow possible on Sunday, and then heavy winds for Monday and Tuesday. With all the ice, and especially in the area we live in, power outages are a good possibility (during the big windstorm two years ago, this house lost power for a...
I'm feeling just a TEENSY bit freaked out by the weather now. The snow was one thing, but they just did the weather forecast and they're talking about possible heavy winds on Monday and Tuesday, and because of the icy conditions we might end up losing power. (During the '06 windstorm, this house lost power for a WEEK!) My due date is Tuesday; what happens to my HBAC if the power goes out and I go into labor? I've been feeling really calm/secure/confident about the...
Although we planned a homebirth with DD, our midwives ended up referring us at 30 weeks for (what turned into) intensive monitoring resulting in a diagnosis of IUGR/low amniotic fluid/breech position and a scheduled c-section at 37w3d. I didn't get to go into labor with her (only felt one BH the whole pregnancy), but I prepared for the c-section and talked to the surgeon about double-layer sutures and VBAC for my future births, etc. Here we are, almost 3 years later,...
Oooh, SO excited--now if only we don't get snowed in up in Woodinville, maybe I can make it on Thursday or Friday!
CONGRATULATIONS! And welcome, baby (beautiful name, btw). :
I'm hitting 39 weeks in the next couple of days, and still in no hurry to have this babe make an appearance--we're still knee-deep in boxes from the move, and so much left to be done. And now, just to add to the fun, there's snow on the ground, and more in the forecast for later this week. At our home visit, the MW jokingly asked that we try not to go into labor in the middle of a snow or ice situation, since our new house is in the middle of hills . . . guess I'll just...
Congratulations, Sara! Can't wait to meet the little guy in person. Take care and enjoy your babymoon!