or Connect

Posts by MacKinnon

We had our ultrasound tech slip twice with DD2. She tried to cover it, which just made it more obvious. "Look, there is her, I ahhh, or his..." We just pretended we hadn't heard it and went ahead like we didn't know. We told everyone we didn't know, and really by about 35 weeks I had convinced myself maybe she didn't *mean* it, or I misheard. We treated DD's birth like a surprise, and it didn't feel forced or anything. It was disappointing, but in the end, still different...
It is very normal for a four-month old, co-sleeping baby to have trouble sleeping alone for naps. They aren't use to sleeping alone! Even most CIO advocates recommend waiting until babies are older than four months to stress independent sleeping. What worked for me at that point was to let them set the schedule. Baby came with me in the sling while I took care of the other kids, did the house work, ran errands, etc. and when baby was tired, he/she slept. In the sling, in...
None of my three were thrilled to take a bottle. They did so reluctantly, but not without a fair amount of protest. In addition to trying various bottles and nipples (we ended up with Playtex Natural Latch Drop-In's for the first two, and the basic glass Evenflo with a standard nipple, or the Soothie bottles with DD2), I would try varying the temperature of the milk from very warm to cool. Also, having the providers vary how they hold her. Like my DD2 vastly preferred to...
We're 16 weeks now and just starting to tell people because we can't hide it anymore! The first trimester it was just my mom, sister, MIL/FIL and my best friend that knew. In the last month, that circle has widely expanded, but still not everyone at my work knows and I certainly haven't posted on facebook. I think I will, but probably after my 20 week ultrasound. We haven't told this time primarily because the pregnancy was a surprise, initial lab results were very...
Well, it might be different for you, but my third was kind of a tipping point for me. I had a first grader (in school) and a 3 1/2 year old. We actually used the bucket seat a fair amount. Go pick up DD from Girl Scouts, take DS to preschool... I had my hands full keeping track of them, and it was easier to keep her in the seat for a while. I did use the stroller for those in and out trips. Baby in the bucket, bucket in the stroller, right hand the stroller, left hand on...
Hey there everyone! I can't believe how far along we all are now!! Even me, at the end of the month, I'm about 15 weeks now, if you use the middle of their three nutty dates. My first trimester screen came back with an elevated risk for Down's. My trisomy 18 results dropped from 1 in 1000 to 1 in 10000, but my Down's risk went up from 1 in 310 (based on my age) to 1 in 160. Still less than one percent, .07 but we will have a level II ultrasound with immediate results for...
Yay! Love seeing the bellies I haven't taken one yet, but now that I'm officially out of all my pants, it's probably time!
There is a person that does it for Greenhouse clients, in Lansing. She came and picked it up at GBC and they delivered the pills with my home visit. It was perfect! Nothing to do with ME and I pretended they were multi-vitamins, LOL! She charges what you want to pay, and can afford. It's a very flexible fee structure. I think suggested was like $50 to $150 or something. I don't remember know.
I would bring it for sure, because for most people it's really hard to install the seat without the base. The base is so easy to install, you're right, it would be a much, much easier install in the dark, in a car you aren't familiar with.
No tech should be telling parents not to move a seat. Techs, even senior techs, are relative. Just like doctors, nurses, lawyers and anyone else who specializes in something, they're not all the same. If one of the techs I trained, I caught telling a parent not to move a seat, they would have hell to pay from me. I always emphasize to my technician candidates that parents are seeing us to be educated in the use of their own seat. The goal is that they can duplicate your...