or Connect

Posts by rielly

My husband and I both have huge families and I have recently received many questions about what our DD, who will be 11 months-old at Christmas time, would like for Christmas.  All I can come up with is wooden puzzles, blocks and shape sorters.  It will be great to have some new toys but I need to make them "count." Our apartment isn't as spacious as a suburban home, and we need to conserve space and limit clutter.    What are some great toys for a one...
here are our current faves at 8.5 months doing baby led weaning: broccoli (steamed, whole) peach slices with skin (gives them more traction) apricot slices w skin nectarine slices w skin plum slices w skin handfulls of hummus (yummy with cucumber slices) greek plain yogurt avocado roasted beets beans thick lentil soup scrambled eggs--- great idea on the spinach
I second the support of the arm on the side where you are nursing.  I also second the recommendation that you consider seeing a IBCLC.  My DD had a shallow latch, which turned out to be a posterior tongue tie. I was still experiencing nipple pain and cracking/bleeding at 8 weeks. Laid back nursing definitely helped us get more comfortable, pre- and post- tt release.  I eventually was able to lay back and doze while she suckled. Hang in there and stick with it- It's...
Thanks for your reply!  How are things going with you?   I am also so relieved our babies are paci-free. Giving up the paci with a toddler was a looming tantrum mountain I definitely was not looking forward to climbing.  I can sympathize with the frequent feedings; we are also on an every hour and a half schedule during the day.  Hang in there.  My baby spontaneously started sleeping from 9:30p to 5:00a last week after waking up every two hours or so since birth. ...
My DD turned 8 months old a week and a half ago. To make a long story short, she was a very "sucky" newborn, so our LC advised me to introduce a pacifier, which went well at first. I recently noticed DD's interest in/need for the paci waining, so I decided to take it away about five days ago. She was only using it at night to fall asleep, and was mostly nursing to sleep without it for her two naps. We recently had thrush, so I was also hoping to eliminate any reservoirs...
  I second this- walks to grab some fresh air from both of us and distract the baby really saved the day.     
How old is your baby?  My baby went through a phase similar to this during which she wouldn't sleep during the day unless we were holding her, from around 10 weeks to 17 weeks.  I have read so many books on my iPhone!  She is beginning to outgrow it (albeit slowly), and I think part of her being able to outgrow it was tied to me learning to stay calm.  I found that it really helped to sing repetitive songs to her (and to myself- think Old McDonald had a farm).  This...
Thanks for the input! I'm a nurse & so I'm definitely always monitoring those diapers. PatioGardener, it makes me feel better that your baby did something similar & I'll take your advice and continue to leave bottle-feeding for later- or never! DD seems to be thriving & happy, so I guess we'll just stick with what works best for her. SoSurreal, DD does use a paci (albeit infrequently). I'm thinking taking the paci out of the equation is a good idea. I tested letting her...
My daughter is 16 weeks old today, and we have faced a host of breastfeeding challenges.  She had a posterior tongue tie, which needed to be released twice, and I have an over active letdown reflex, so not the greatest combo.  She was nursing 15 x a day before her last release, which was at 11 weeks. Now I don't keep track, but it's definitely dropped to more "normal" frequencies. The latest curiosity in our BF relationship is her disinterest in nursing while she's...
I was just about to post a similar question.  I never would have thought of the ice cream shop route.  Thanks!