or Connect

Posts by ariahsmum

In COMPLETE agreement that there is some other issue.  We do have a financial advisor and are in the midst (for the last year) of sorting things out with our debts/budget/priorities and goals.  I truly just wanted to get a read on how others might see this and how it works to separate income and expenses in our situation.  I could not imagine it was a good plan, but wanted another perspective on it.  I think I've got it.   Since I have two kids, no job, and am dependent...
Thank you all for your thoughtful initial responses. This question is clearly loaded- on many levels. There are so many questions I have about financial planning, etc, and only some of those are tied to this issue of a potential income from a trust. We are trying to work our way through paying off debt and gathering joint emergency savings, applying for life insurance (which I have been denied), getting our own wills in order, etc. This trust is just one piece.   I think...
Dh and I have been married 20 years and always shared money and accounts fully (except to say we each get discretionary money each month as a budget category).  I am a SAHM and homeschooling mother, dh is a public schoolteacher.  Recently we purchased a house with help from my parents, paid off HIS school loan and fully funded our small emergency savings account.  We are moving in the right direction- finally- and debt free with the exception of a new mortgage.   So...
No no and no!  Never cash in retirement (you'll also have to pay taxes which will be more expensive than the debt interest rate, likely) for debt.  Cut down expenses or get an extra job.  
I have late stage lyme, finally diagnosed after years of tests and not knowing.  What a full time job and energy/financial drain this has become.  I have 2 kiddos, one birth one adopted, and am scared out of my mind that I have passed it to them in utero and or through breast milk.  Curious if you have tested your kiddos or if they have shown any symptoms?   Best thing you can do is read read read- get Stephen Buhner's book on lyme as well as Horowitz's new bible of...
Carson, I think the 25x is an amount that allows the principal to be invested and the interest to be the amount you live on.  In my case, if DH died, I would lose the pension and projected SS as well as his current income.
Is anyone here versed in life Insurance?  I could use input or understanding.   DH is a public school teacher making about 50K annually gross.  We are supplemented by "gift" money that could go away at any point but currently covers necessary expenses/bills.  We are debt free with the exception of a new mortgage.  I am SAHM homeschooling two kids, age 5 and 12.  We have little retirement and no college savings.   DH has term insurance in the amount of 200K, an amount I...
I have no idea why I thought stress of third world government processes would be limited to adoption, but it turns out it also applies to immigration.  DUH!   I've made some preliminary inquiries and it sounds tough to get a visa extended beyond 90 days in Rwanda.  Recently it has gotten even tighter than in the past in fact as a reaction to international views and politics.  The Embassy in DC responded to my inquiry by stating that we (all of us) appear before...
I totally understand how some of you get a big refund and can't avoid it.  I suppose I will change my w/holding again this year to see if we can avoid a return and utilize the funds better during the tax year.   Still not disappointed to be putting a chunk into the HELOC though that I had not planned on!
Our family does not qualify for EIC.     All I have to do is stop thinking/dreaming about all the ways I could spend it (clothes for dd, trip to Boston or NYC, night away with DH, travel fund for Rwanda, new flower garden, finish a room in the basement) and get it into my debt payoff stream.  Seems harsh to use it all for debt and none of it for fun.