or Connect

Posts by Asheya

Glad you found it helpful! I also wanted to point you to this birth plan--it's quite tongue-in-cheek, but Rixa makes a number of good points! As you read it keep in mind that she has only had home births, so bringing this to the hospital may get a laugh but it also might have a negative effect. I personally like some of the points she makes, though, and the fact that she states what she plans to do in general, rather than a list of this or that.
One last thing--I checked with the midwife I know, and I was wrong about the urine strip being used as a good marker for gestational diabetes. I am sorry for that misinformation, thank you for pointing it out to me, and in the future I will make sure to check before I post!   The midwife I know does not, however, routinely screen all her clients for GD, but only those who have risk factors. She does this either by having the woman use the glucometer at home or by...
Here's some information you might find helpful in making your decision. It is excerpted from Having a Baby, Naturally by Peggy O'Mara   ·         Newborns with increased risk of hemorrhagic disease include: o   If mother has been treated with anticoagulants, antiseizure medications, or antibiotics during her pregnancy o   Women who have used extremely excessive amounts of Vitamin E, aspirin, mineral oil, alcohol, or have been exposed to rat poison. ·        ...
I'm sorry if my post was interpeted as offering advice for particular situations, or a blanket recommendation. I was trying to point women towards information about the tests, and I did say "it can be important to look at the research, weigh the benefits and risks and your particular circumstances, and make an informed decision about your care." I also tried to provide links to articles with research so that women can look at the information for themselves to make an...
"A huge Canadian study demonstrated that the only effect of routine glucose tolerance screening was to inform about three per cent of pregnant women that they have gestational diabetes (20). The diagnosis did not change the birth outcomes." Quoting from Dr. Michel Odent at http://www.wombecology.com/maternalemotional.html and the study he quotes is Wen SW, Liu S, Kramer MS, et al. Impact of prenatal glucose screening on the diagnosis of gestational diabetes and on...
The best evidence to date indicates that routine ultrasound screening at any point in pregancy does not "reduce adverse outcomes for babies" quoted from the Cochrane review http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab007058.html However, "Early ultrasound improved the early detection of multiple pregnancies and improved gestational dating which may result in fewer inductions for post maturity." More research may be needed on this topic, as the Cochrane Review admits that the...
I think this 'industry insider' advertising program is fairly new, and just started sometime around January. When I was asking mothering.com about how I could best let women know about my services, this is what they suggested. I wondered if it might be strange for me to be posting in the DDC, but I figured that since this is the program I signed up for that that's what I'm supposed to do! I only provide information and do not overtly say anything about my services in any...
Hi Capretta,   Thanks for asking! I'm not due in October, which right now I am quite thankful for as I have three children aged 5, almost 3, and 18 months! They keep me busy, as well as the work I am doing with Mothers of Change for Maternity Care, the Maternity Care Research Group out of the University of British Columbia, and offering prenatal classes online through my childbirth education company, Connected Childbirth.   I am on these boards to help with...
Yay for HBAC! The later you can wait to do the ultrasound, the more accurate the information about the placenta will be, as the bigger you get the more likelihood the placenta will move away from your cervix. A mother who recently took a prenatal course with me had 1st trimester bleeding and an ultrasound revealed what looked like it could be placenta previa (placenta totally covers cervix making vaginal birth impossible). However, a 3rd trimester ultrasound showed the...
Dr. Michel Odent calls this the 'nocebo' effect, because research shows that all the medical prenatal tests we do actually don't improve outcomes for babies (better birth weight, less prematurity etc.) The main effect these test have are to cause worry and stress and to begin the process of medicalizing childbirth, so that before you even start birthing you are training yourself to think of your body as possibly flawed and relying on medical interventions. There are some...