or Connect

Posts by oceanbaby

My older son is just finishing up 4th grade at our local public school - he was homeschooled up until this year.  His teacher has this thing about book reports that makes me crazy.  A large part of his language arts grade is based on the number of book reports that he turns in.  The books have to be at least 100 pages.  To get an A, you have to turn in 8-9 book reports per quarter, which means by the end of the year he would have had to turn in 24-27 book reports to get...
My kids are just finishing 4th and 1st grade at our local public school after having been homeschooled up until this last Fall.  The transition was fine, but honestly, I think the biggest problem you're going to have is your 2nd grader being completely bored academically.  My younger son is advanced, taught himself to read by the age of 4, and while he enjoys some aspects of school, he has complained about the "baby work" all year long.  I work in his classroom, and he...
I haven't been in this forum for awhile, and I apologize in advance for the length of this post.   My kids went to 4th and 1st grade this year at our local public school after having been hs'ed up until then.  My older son had asked to go, and we decided to give it a shot.  It's been a year of mixed experiences, and we are on the fence about returning next year.   I could do a list of pros and cons in general, but most of you here know what they would generally be. ...
Thank you for the continued feedback and links.   The main thing that still really worries me is the mouthing, because the complaint I have is not play mouthing.  She does do play mouthing with the kids, and we say a firm "no!" and she stops.  But she and I are having this never ending battle about wiping her paws/body off when she comes inside.  It's been wet and really muddy around here, so she needs to be quickly wiped down before she comes tromping through the...
We definitely plan on upping the exercise.  We were having an issue with walking her on a leash, as she was just pulling the entire time, frustrating us and her.  So we bought a harness, and that worked great, until we left it on her one day and she chewed through it.  It took us a few days to get the new harness but then it was almost constant rain for 2 weeks.  She also gets a couple of sessions of fetch in the backyard, and runs like the dickens.  Dh and the kids took...
Well, we've never been to a dog park before, but she does get super excited when playing with other dogs.  She plays well, though, and I've never seen her get aggressive, but I'm worried about if it happens and I can't rely on her to listen to my commands.
Darn, I lost my post!    Thanks everyone for your comments.  We will continue training, and I do think that agility would be perfect for her, but these classes cost $150 a pop around here, so we've had to space them out.  The next training class starts on 4/20, so I'm going to do that with her.  Right now she gets on average 2 15 minute walks a day, plus several full run ball throwing sessions in the backyard.  It's been really rainy the past 2 weeks, so we haven't...
I grew up with dogs, but they were my mom's dogs.  I've never had a dog of my own, and frankly, never wanted one.  But, my older son (who is almost 10) adores animals, and has been begging for a dog since he could talk.  We moved to the 'burbs a few years ago, and have a big yard.  Everyone has a dog.  Ds would even go do dog project meetings at 4H and be the only kid without a dog.  Dh has been an IT manager a non profit Guide Dogs organization for 10 years.  Anyhow, we...
We eat plain yogurt with a bit of maple syrup mixed in.
I have a hard time eating breakfast, but here is my new favorite:   In a small frying pan, heat a bit of olive oil.  Put in a handful of frozen hash browns, top with a handful or two of frozen spinach, and then crack an egg on top, salt and pepper.  Cover, lower heat, and cook until whites are solid and yolk is how you like it (I like it pretty solid).  When it's done you can lift the whole thing up with a spatula and slide it onto your place.  Yum.