or Connect

Posts by oceanbaby

We miss Brigher Visions - I wish something like that would start back up.  We still read the books we got from them (although I didn't think the workbooks were that great).
Thanks for all your thoughts.  Since this is the only school we've ever been in (aside from preschool at one point), it's hard for me to say if my issues are with this particular school or school in general.  I have a feeling that a lot of what I think is disrespect of children is pretty widespread in most school environments.  When I had heard the lunch lady being mean to one of the other kids a few months back, and I turned to the other parents and was like "WTF?",...
I hear a lot of complaints from my kids about the "lunch ladies," who are basically the yard duty ladies who supervise lunch by strolling around the tables barking at kids to sit still and be quiet.  (They don't actually serve lunch - the parent volunteers do that.)   It's all the typical power trip stuff that I find irritating but is so common in schools.  As one of the parents who serves lunch sometimes, I have heard the lunch lady be very rude to kids on several...
Thanks everyone!  Hmm, if I had to prioritize:   1.  Safe and clean neighborhood. 2.  Lively family community. 3.  Good schools 4.  Yard size (acreage sounds magnificent - we have a 1/4 acre lot here in the 'burbs and it feels huge!) 5.  Easy access/walkability to either parks and trails or shopping and dining. 6.  Commute - there is a chance he could telecommute part time, or at the very least work off hours.  Also, he may very well be looking into a new...
Long story short:  My father retired to Costa Rica 3-4 years ago.  We've never been.  He's come back to visit twice, but we have a contentious relationship and we saw him for all of 1 day each time he was here.  He has said he won't be coming back to the states again.   My kids adore my dad, and haven't seen him in over 2 years.  They have begged to visit him in Costa Rica.  I have the miles for 3 free tickets.  I figure it's now or never - there are no flights...
We have contemplated a move to Portland from the Bay Area for years, and it's back on the table.  There is a 90% chance my dh could keep his job, which is in Boring and be able to telecommute at least one day a week maybe more.  He is in IT.   Dh is taking a business trip to Boring in about a month, and I am going to go with him to check out different areas.  I am very marginally aware of various areas, but we'll only have two days so I was hoping some of you moms...
We are in a puppy training class right now (geared at pups 3-4 months) and the instructor was saying that at this age, no teeth to skin should be allowed,  Teeth to pants leg, give the puppy something else to chew.  Teeth to bare ankle means pup is immediately put into 15 second "time out."  Playtime ends, and puppy is put somewhere boring for about 15 seconds.   This doesn't always work out very well for us logistically, but we do immediately end any play when teeth...
Thank you for your reassurance.  I admit that I have always been a little taken aback by how aggressively dogs seem to play, and now that it's my puppy it's pretty hard to watch.  I most definitely didn't see any signs of her being afraid - there was another puppy there that at first played with the puppy that is bigger than mine, and that puppy almost immediately was slinking away with her tail between her legs, obviously frightened, and the instructor had them stop. ...
We are taking puppy training classes at our local humane society (which is very well regarded, well funded, and the training department is run by a nationally known trainer - I feel good about the quality of the program).  Tonight was our 2nd class, but the first one with the puppies, and we were doing supervised play time in the beginning.   The instructor kind of separated the dogs based on their general tempermants - one side was super mellow dogs, the other side...
No one has heard of this?  I've been Googling and can't find anything.  I'm getting a bit worried.  She's due for her 4mo rabies shot in about a week, and she's still got these two huge scabs from the last shots.