or Connect

Posts by oceanbaby

We adopted a 3 month old puppy last week.  At the time we adopted her, she had had a skin biopsy done.  The explanation we were given was that she had developed a large scab, and they decided to biopsy it to make sure she didn't have ringworm or something else.  All tests came back negative. When we took her home 7 days ago, she still had the stitches (procedure was done on 1/14, if I am remembering correctly), and was halfway thorugh a dose of antibiotics, which we are...
I have a friend, and when we met the condition of her apartment was do dirty I couldn't visit, let alone have my kids playing there.  I mean, it wasn't going to be on tv or anything, but there was dust and dirty clothes everywhere, dirty crusty dishes all over the place, dirty floors, cat hair and overflowing litter boxes.  If I can't go to the bathroom or get a drink of water without freaking out, I can't hang out there.  Her new place is a bit cleaner.  It's not much...
We adopted a 3 month old puppy from the shelter yesterday.  She is very sweet and is picking things up very quickly.  However, we have a few housetraining questions that I haven't seen addressed in anything I've read.   She seems to fall asleep around 7pm every evening, usually on the carpet right in front of the couch where we're all hanging out.  We don't want to leave her sleeping there when we go to bed, because she could wake up during the night or early morning...
   I agree.
I haven't read all the replies, but I have a 4th grade boy who hates writing and forgets everything.  Constantly.  It's maddening.    However, I wanted to comment on this:  "I KNOW the boy hates writing.  He has Developmental Coordination Disorder and writing is difficult for him, I KNOW this, but that doesn't change the fact that he HAS to do it."   He may not have to do it.  My son hasn't even ever been tested for any sort of learning disability, but I talked...
I'm in Marin, but am looking throughout the Bay Area.  Thanks for these - I see some of their dogs listed on Petfinder, but I'll keep checking their webpages directly.  
I completely understand and agree about the "bully breed" anxiety. My SIL has boxers - the sweetest, most gentle dogs - and has told us stories about how some people react to her dogs who think that they are pitbulls.  She's had people scream at her at the dog park or on hikes if her dogs even tried to approach them off leash.  The dog we were thinking of adopting did have a bit of a rottweiler bodytype, but she was all golden, so I think that would have insulated her...
Oh yeah, I hear you about the academics.  The lack of creativity is staggering.  I hate the math program they are using (Everyday Math), and science is a complete and total joke. He has had science homework once, and it was a worksheet.  But like you pointed out, there's no time to do additional academic work at home.  Both kids take martial arts 3x/week, ds1 takes tap 1x/week, and Little League is going to start soon.  (This is all by their request, btw.)   I have a...
I am so so sad.  I felt like I was coming down with a cold yesterday, so we didn't go to the shelter to adopt Katie May.  They open today at 3pm, so I called this morning, and she has been adopted.   I feel heartbroken.  I don't know why I didn't just follow my instincts and adopt her while we were there.  Now I have to break the news to the kids. 
Well, she used my name addressing me in the email.  And it wasn't sent to her normal "all parents" group email.   I simply emailed her back and said "Ds is not a high needs child."  That's all I really care that she understands right now.  Both dh and I would like to say a lot more, but we refrained.