or Connect

Posts by oceanbaby

The unknown of a shelter pup does concern me, but honestly two of the aggressive dog issues in my past (again, not my dogs) were purebreds that came from reputable breeders.  In both cases I believe the aggression was due to lack of proper training and control on the owner's part.    I guess I'm resistant to a breeder for several reasons:  I have no idea how to go about finding a good one, and I'm not set on any one particular breed, although I have ruled out several...
I get that that would be an interesting and non aggressive reply, but I really don't want to initiate a discussion with her about this.  I want to make it clear to her that we do NOT consider ds to be a high needs child, and that we are not in need of parenting support.  I'm too pissed to even do a whole "thank you for your concern but" kind of reply.  I don't thank her for her concern - I'm offended.  
As you can see from my long thread below on bullying, we've had some issues the past few months with some kids at school.  The teacher and principal, while taking steps to solve it, have had the attitude that I'm a pain in the butt parent.  Whatever, that's been the least of my concerns.   However, this morning, I get an email from ds's teacher with a forward about a parenting class.  Here's the description:  "As a reminder, this group doesn't really focus on...
Here's a link to my thread in the pet forum.  Thanks!   http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1292081/first-time-dog-owner-adopting-a-puppy-need-some-basic-advice#post_16192806
We are in the process of visiting various shelters to get our first family dog.  We wanted to wait unti our kids were older, and at 9.5 and 6.5 we feel ready to take it on.   We are aware that a puppy is difficult, but I have some residual fear and anxiety about dog aggression from incidents in my past (as an unfortunate bystander), and I've even worked with therapists about it.  The only way I feel comfortable with bringing a dog into our family is if we have it...
Thanks everyone.  Last week was a rough week.   Fri am I walked through the office to sign in to go serve lunch, and noticed my son's music instrument, along with some others, sitting on the chairs in the office, and the Principal's door was closed.  I talked with the seretary, and she said that my son was in with the principal, along with 3 other kids and their teacher.  She didn't know anything other than that.  A few minutes later the door opened and they all came...
Bingo night is always hugely popular with kids and adults, especially if it is coupled with something like a spaghetti dinner and byo wine.  :)
We started school this year for the first time - 4th grade and 1st grade.  I was super worried about my 4th grader because his handwriting and spelling were pretty horrible.  I knew he had a strong conceptual math base, but he wasn't drilled on his facts.   It turned out to be kind of a non issue.  Not to be too insulting about school, bit it's kind of a joke.  It's complete regurgitation, and anything ds didn't know he easily picked up.  His handwriting is still...
We've been dealing with this situation at school since just a few weeks after school started back in August, and I am reaching the end of my rope.   Ds1 started 4th grade this year, at his request, after being homeschooled.  He's never had any social problems - he's a very outgoing and confident kid.  Things were fine at first and then we started hearing the reports about being excluded and teased on the playground.  It was hard for us to get all the info - it can be...
I haven't read all the replies, but wanted to chime in that having a daughter doesn't guarantee family harmony.  My sister's boyfriend decided two years ago (for ridiculous reasons) that he was never speaking to my mom again, and it caused all sorts of upset in the family, even for me and my kids.  My SIL (dh's sister) has been married for 13 years, and has an 8yo daughter.  We all live in the same area, and have been really close, but major tension over the past year...