or Connect

Posts by tonttu

So, basically he rinses and then soaks ? Does he rinse after soaking or does he use the soaking water to cook the stuff in ? I am asking for the rice , dumping the bean water is a no-brainer !
  Thanks , that is a great one ! And sure beats going through all the different brands individually ! I do believe though , personally , if a brand is good for dogs , chances are it is good for cats as well
Well , I usually rinse it well with hot water before cooking , but the girl posting it , said , she soaks hers for up to several days in the fridge and it´s supposed to make it more palatable/easier to digest , plus it is supposed to help pull the arsenic out , that can be in rice , so I was just wondering , since I don´t remember  exactly HOW she did it 
Freezer I always have :  - ground meat from a local farmer , that raises organic cattle , we are not big meat eaters and I am cutting down more and more , but for some meals , I like to keep it on hand  - lots of different frozen vegetables  - frozen fruits and berries , it is quite cold here , and produce gets expensive in the winter , so I always keep that stocked-up - frozen falafel , which we all love , especially my DD2 as a quick lunch snack - grated...
" Taste of the wild " , really ? I saw it online , since the stores here don´t carry it and it looked nice , but it´s always good to hear some input from " real " people , that have actually used it ! I didn´t mean to imply , that I want to use bottom-line cheap grocery store food , but sometimes you pay a premium prize for a name , kwim ?  And I see no point in that !  But thanks for the tip , I will definitely be trying the " taste of the wild "
Canned tomatoes , pasta , vegetable bouillon cubes , dried herbs such as parsley , basil , dill , thyme , oregano , also paprika , black pepper , garlic powder , canned beans and lentils , rice ( brown and white ) , roasted bell peppers , flour tortillas , different flours , eggs , grated cheese , ...
I like to feed my dogs , healthy , good food . However , money is an issue with us , and even though , I know , that better is ...well better , I was kind of looking for some input about different kinds of dog food I would never get the cheap , no-name brand , you know the one that lists corn as its number one ingredient and is a ll dusty and funny-smelling . Iams is also out of the question , for obvious reasons , but other than that I want to buy good food , but...
I think , when a child is small , it is the parents choice , what they eat and what they don´t eat , when they get older , it is up to the parents to explain to their child , as well as lead by example , and once they get to a certain age , they make their decision .  For example , my DS2 ( who suffers from ulcerated colitis like me ) was always quite defiant about the foods I told him he  should eat ( and the ones he shouldn´t ) but now , at 14 , he sees my reasoning...
-Flour , we make our own bread and also cake , so even a 50 lb bag goes fast with 6 kids , my Mother , my brother ( and half the time my Aunt ) around  -Pasta , I use wholegrain most of the time , but if we are in a hurry , and for certain recipes , I keep regular shells around in big bags -canned tomatoes and beans/legumes , there is a big grocery store about an hour away , where you can buy like 6-packs of canned goods , so every time I go there ( usually every few...
A while ago , someone wrote in a post , that she is soaking her rice for a while before cooking it , but now I can´t find it anymore ! It would be great , if you could help me by reposting how you do it , which rice , how long , etc !