or Connect

Posts by aniT

Why do you only have cold water? You really need hot water to get the diapers clean. What you can do is add boiling water to the washer as it fills, (and to the rinse cycle.) I would do this every single time. I used to do this myself (and I had hot water) when I had a top loader just to get the water hot enough to really clean the diapers. ETA: I have also found liquid detergent causes more buildup than powder. I used to wash my diapers with baking soda in place...
Quote: Originally Posted by MummaLitt I've actually had more "accidents" with the stupid umbrella stroller because you simply cannot steer it with one hand. Pop a wheely and drive it on the back wheels. Thats the only way to get anywhere with those stupid things.
Quote: Originally Posted by bits and bobs "who was old enough to walk" I loathe that attitude. You have no idea why that mother chose to have a stroller for her child. It is none of your business as to whether he/she could walk or not. DS has low muscle tone and while he could walk, he got tired very easily. I hate to think of people like you judging my decision to bring a stroller for my child just because YOU think he should walk. Also many...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tigerchild So I could see the stroller story happening. Though I think it's less about the stroller and more about the bus driver being an ass. IMO. The way they drive around here.. I think they are all asses. I can't count the number of times they have run me out of my lane, pulled into me from the side of the road.. and even pulled out in front of me on a 55mph country road. I had to slam on my breaks! ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Swan3 OH yes! Last winter I was car-less/license-less and had to get everywhere by bus. I was also pregnant and had many appts which at times were for around rush hour (despite my begging and trying to reschedule). One day a woman complained loudly about how it wasn't very smart of me to take a stroller on the bus at rush hour. I replied "What's your phone number? I'll call you and ask for permission the next time I need to go...
Quote: Originally Posted by MadiMamacita interesting article, to be sure! i will politely disagree with you on that last point though, i think the animosity toward large strollers is that they are large! they make navigating crowds difficult. there are lots of small strollers (umbrella strollers, for one that are cheap and aren't so huge. true. but i also cant count how many times i have been bashed - not grazed, not bumped- bashed with a stroller....
Quote: Originally Posted by A&A I'm glad you're acknowledging that you're being a bit selfish. The more other people "push" us to feel a certain way, the more we are going to push in the opposite direction. That is just human nature. So quit pushing her. He is not her dad. It feels like you've forgotten that. : I bet my mom felt I "ruined" her perfect family fantasy beucase I have never liked my step dad either. She was so...
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades Maybe I just have a bias for seafood. I'd eat it everyday if I could. I just can't imagine my children growing up never eating a whole category of a popular food. My stepfather hated fish.. my mother never ever served it. (did I say that or did I delete it?) In any rate I have tried to teach myself to make fish. After years of trying it seems the only fish I make that my kids will eat is pan fried. ...
It's not about "I didn't do it so it's not important." It's more about the fact that it is not skill that it would hurt them not to have. It does sound like your family is very privileged so I guess it would make sence your children learn things that others consider only those of privilege need to know as a "necessity." Where do you get shrimp if you don't get it at the store? Do you catch it yourself?
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades I know lots of people who can skip stones. DH and DS have been practicing at local lakes and creeks, and you'd be surprised how many little boys come up and ask DH if he will teach them. It's a fun thing to do. I guess if you don't live near any water, you'd never have a reason to, but it can be a great way to pass the time and for little ones to learn coordination. Again, I think where you live would matter,...