or Connect

Posts by aniT

Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride Fair enough. I missed that the OP said skills they wanted to teach their kids. I thought this thread was about basic functioning. In any case, I've discovered reading this thread that I'm not a functioning human being. I'm kind of shocked...but not really... don't worry.. I don't think I am a functioning human being either.
Quote: Originally Posted by SeekingJoy Yes! My hoarding mother totally fails at this. If not taught as a habit early, it can be so hard to unlearn a lifetime of messy behavior.
Quote: Originally Posted by lynsage View Post It also shocks me how many adults from two-parent homes I know that never learned to do basic home repairs or yard work Oh I missed this the first time around. Wanna know the kicker to this one? My stepfather.. after retiring as a civilian building maintenance worker for a military base opened his own home repair business. This is what he does for a living!!! Skill we were never taught....
Quote: Originally Posted by AbbieB I This kind of thinking, and the fact that it has been normalized, just makes me so sad. I'm not picking on the poster, in fact I spent the last 2 years worried that some one would call CPS because I let DD play out side alone. It just seems so crazy that we have to check in with big brother before we make decisions for our kids. The thing is.. we don't. People just don't know their rights and believe...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I guess the airport thing puzzles me, because the basics are...really basic - far simpler than balancing a bank account or cooking, for instance. Barriers to navigating an airport are usually not practical barrier, ime...more psychological. (I personally hate airports with a passion, and find it somewhat ironic that I ended up falling in love with a man whose hometown and interests both dictate that I have to spend...
Quote: Originally Posted by July09Mama We live in a city with great public transit and we don't own a car, so being able to take a bus or train and bike are essential basics for us. Driving isn't in our current situation, but I do really want my dd to know how. I think it is an important life skill, even if we don't need it every day. I was wondering if you lived in Portland when I read this. I don't know many other cities that are as pubic...
People work under the table all the time where I am from. But as an aside.. DH's job ONLY pays by direct deposit. (government.) If you get social security or any other type of government check they ONLY pay by direct deposit. So you have to have a checking account of some sort to get paid.
My father is an alcoholic and my parents divorced when I was 3. I don't know him. He thought it was more important to be a drunk than to take care of the 6 children he fathered with three different wives (and these are just the legal ones we know about.) Soooo.. I guess I don't really have much to ad.
And you know.. with online banking.. balancing a check book isn't even really necessary anymore. I can get real time account info online! But you do have to realize that some checks might not have cleared and account for them.
Quote: Originally Posted by GoBecGo My first memory is when i was 10months! Do others really not remember until they are 3? Mine is 13 months.. maybe younger since I can't date some of the memories... DH's however are around 12. That said.. my parents took me to Disneyland when I was about a year old. I have vauge memories of "It's a Small World" but thats it. I wish they would have waited til I was old enough to remember. We went again...