or Connect

Posts by newsolarmomma2

Hi All, My DS in still a baby, not even a year old, but since I view learning as a lifelong process, I have been looking into US now. It seems like the mind set of US is so totally different from school,It seems to be a different way of looking at the world, which I like. Can you share with me how you think about US vs schooling? I know this is a vague question, but Im having a hard time putting it into words. Maybe why you switched to US, or why you will avoid school? I...
HOT HOT HOT. I have lived all over, and Austin is by far the hottest place Ive lived. From about May to October, it's well over 80, often into the 90's. From July- Sept it can be 100 or more for some of every day. it's not crazy humid, like the East Coast or even Houston, but it's NOT like So CAl either. (San Diego area). I never was bothered by mosquitos but e flies can be irritating, and the ther bugs are weird though. The rest of the year is mild and beautiful, and...
I forgot- there is a great co-op daycare here. It's a DEAL, half the cost of the others, even if you have to work here and there. LOTS of great people too.I don't know if it will be convenient for you, but it's worth checking out: http://www.allaustincoop.org/
IMPORTANT TIP- TRAFFIC IS TERRIBLE! It matters where you live compared to work, or you can easily spend an extra 3+ hours daily commuting a mere 10 miles. Not joking AT ALL. I lived far South, worked 11miles North/Central, and spent 3+hours daily, until I moved my schedule around. The ONLY city I have seen with worse traffic is LA, I swear it is like a parking lot on the freeways, and there aren't too many alternate routes. Going opposite of traffic, or working hours...
serenbat- couldn't agree more!!!
In TX you CAN leave any kid, even a baby in the car, if it's for FIVE MINUTES, but no more. Higher limits for older kids. This is sensible, as it is too hot here to leave kids in cars. When I was in San Diego and Mexico, I didn't mind because it was usually 65-70 deg tops. Anyway, there are more regulations too, but I only recalled the 5 minute rule, which was relevant to me. I checked only a few days ago, it's on DHS website. I say it depends on the kid. Where I lived in...
Hi, New to this topic, but have been thinking about it for awhile. I was looking for a way for my DS to keep his natural curiosity and desire to learn. I have always noticed how little ones are SO excited for school, and SO excited to learn. They are like sponges. But somewhere between the excitement of early grade school and graduation, these same kids have gone from happy to learn to active avoidance. For YEARS I have been trying to understand WHY kids go from curious...
No, all men are NOT like that. There are all types, but ANY man worth your affection would at least try to support you and understand why you do what you do. My LP is much more AP than I am, and loves cosleeping as much or more than me. Really, he is a baby hog- he always wants to cuddle Ds to sleep instead of letting me do it. But LP is a snuggle bug (Im not), and very intuitive and empathetic, so it makes sense he would be AP like. There are some things you shouldn't...
I was JUST about to post about this!! I didn't know it was called cry- in -arms. EVERY Night, actually, every time he falls asleep at all, my DS CRIES like crazy. He fights sleep like I have never seen. He is 7 months old. Either me or DH ALWAYS sleep with him snuggled in one arm/ side, or in both arms spoon like, now that he is old enough to sit up and move around well (we bed shared before, but didn't keep him that close for safety sake). He is between us. After the 3...
Great story! It's always great when you get support from places you never expected. I was also very surprised, pleasantly, when an old HS friend from the Midwest asked me if I was going to circ. I said "HELL NO, we are atheists, why would we do that? Plus, it's not mine to cut!" And she said "GREAT, I was going to try to talk you out of it, it's good to see you are also against it!" This has happened countless times, even though Im not an activist per say ( I will voice...