or Connect

Posts by cyanviolet

These aren't all Barefoot Books, but here you go... we tend to be heavy on the S or SE Asian since that's our family and friends, so I would love it if other people chimed in with their favorites.   Our friends just gave us "Elephant Dance" and "Lin-Yi's Lantern" for holiday presents and we are enjoying those a lot. I personally love the artwork in the Elephant Dance book the best, and loved listening to our friends from Bombay read it to our son and their children.    We...
I am trying not to use a lot of threats or bribes because I feel like our goal is to teach our son to behave because he wants to (with the hopes that it means he will still do the right thing even if no one is watching when he's older). That isn't to say that we shield him from the consequences of his actions. It's a balancing act, like all of parenting!   With that said, I find this blog really useful   http://joyfultoddlers.com/   I find a lot of things she...
So, off the topic a little, but as a mixed race family, we really love a lot of the books we get from Barefoot Books. 
Besides a lot of those already mentioned... I noticed some people use the same books as we do for different seasons which is interesting. My little guy is 2.5 years old and these are what we are enjoying right now. The rainy books get left out for winter time too, since we have much more rain then snow.   Winter: Over and Under the Snow (Kate Messner)             Flower Fairies of the Winter (C M Barker)             Snow (Uri Shulevitz)             Christmas in...
Our little guy freaked out and started screaming when we put him in the bath and two days later his little toes were covered with blisters from Hand, Foot and Mouth (and so were his hands and mouth). Our guess was that it was already hurting from the virus and the warm water made it worse. He just didn't have words to tell us. The lesson I learned from that is if he really doesn't want to do something I don't push it. We did sponge baths with warm wash cloths for a while...
I'm another one of those people whose child eats vegetables (he's only 21 months, picky could still happen I suppose) but something I've noticed is that it's a texture thing. He is the opposite of another poster and doesn't like crunchy that much. If he's going to eat them on his own and control the bite size he likes them cooked to a softness point that my Asian spouse thinks is pretty blech. He likes asparagus, green beans, kale, broccoli, carrots, turnips, bok choy,...
Oh, I wouldn't beat yourself up. My guy is still nursing when I'm home at 21 months, but I work full time and he does a bit of serious thumb sucking when he goes to sleep or is tired. I'm not that worried about it, it's pretty low on my list of things to freak out about (and believe me, it's a long list!). If it messes up his teeth a little, we'll deal with it when it happens. Honestly, he was such a high needs baby (with all the sleep horror stories that go with it)...
If you look in the balance bike vs. trike thread you'll see one mama basically describe the progression of learning to use the balance bikes after I commented that my little guy at 18 mo just got PO'd when he couldn't push his Wishbone (in trike configuration) from behind and now at 21 mo enjoys walking around with it between his legs and steering for 5 min or so at a time but doesn't actually ride it. It sounds like the little walking steps are pretty common and they...
We bought a Wishbone balance trike that converts to a balance bike. It is more pricey then other push bikes but I liked it because it was good for ages 1-5. You get rid of one of the wheels once your child is comfortable with just two and then the frame flips for short or tall kids. I thought my little guy was going to go nuts for it and he does love walking around on it with his "hemet" on, but he isn't reallying riding it much yet. We gave it to him when he was 18...
You can rent the CARES restraint on eBAY for around $15. The lap belts aren't made to restrain such small bodies in turbulence. We used one on our last flight and it was much better for our 21 month old than the car seat because he could play with his toys on a surface (the seat and the tray table). The downside is that he did tend to slip (next time I'll bring the shelf liner like other parents have suggested) and sleeping wasn't as easy as in the car seat.   The...