or Connect

Posts by Thparkly

I have only one child.  I gave birth to my son at Henry Ford WB last year and saw the midwives for the last few months of my pregnancy (moved from out of state).  There were about 3 seperate incidents that happened there with different staff members that were negative.  One of the doctors snapped at me when I was in active labor for asking a question and my husband and doula were both surprised by it.       I am sure however that you will find the right place for...
This is absolutely devastating and makes me cry.  Makes me appreciate my son despite a difficult labor.  Thank you for sharing your story.  You are so brave.
I have generally not had to deal with people making stupid comments in public.  I didn't mind (very much) being asked things when I am due (until I reached my due date!).   Did I overreact to the following?   On my due date (two days ago) I ended up at the hospital for what turned out to be a false alarm. Absolutely exhausted and startving, I was craving french toast from my favorite breakfast place when we left the hospital.  As we went to get seated, the lady...
Depending on what else I eat later in the day, I will focus on protein and fiber in the morning.  A skim milk protein smoothie with berries and milled flax seed is a personal favorite, extremely balanced, and could be done daily.   My favorite protein powder is hormone free whey called Dream Protein in vanilla flavor.  If I need extra sweet I add stevie.    
Might I suggest you consider learning a variety of ethnic dishes (Chinese, Indian, Japanese) in which fruits and vegetables are the main component and not just a garnish?    I guess after trying to come up with ideas for your meals here is my main problem: the meals themselves are all entrees that don't focus on vegetables in the first place; they focus on carbs and protein, and I am of the opinion that healthy diet should focus on fiber at least equally. When I have...
I always enhance my own speghetti sauce; very few are decent out of the can.    You can saute 2 or 3 onions with some cumin and coriander and chili, then dump in a few cans of chick peas and the tomato sauce. Serve with cilantro and lemon juice garnish.   It's basically chana masala (an Indian dish) and it goes great with eggs, toast, pita bread, etc.
I know food is used by people to create a sense of community...and in my family it has often been a point of conflict and alienation because of our eating differences.    Personally, I think there ARE times when "because I said so", is really the best and most appropriate thing to say, but since your baby is only 3, maybe you could carry around your OWN brand of snacks (like snow peas, apples, walnuts, etc) to offer in counter to whatever he/she is offered on the...
How do you know sunflower oil non-GMO?  I am asking because I use canola oil and would prefer a non-GMO option as well...but not too expensive
Why are you trying to go sugar free?  If it's for actual health reasons, then I would avoid honey too, it is just as bad for you.   Maple syrup isn't much better, even though it's loaded with vitamins, it is still extremely high on the glycemic index. Speaking of which, so is most cereal, and then fortified with vitamins.  So nutritionally they aren't much different as far as ow they affect your metabolism.   I eat Breadshop brand raspberry n' cream which is...
I am pretty much overwhelmed by the thread at this point. I can't tell who is talking to me or to somebody else.    I have already decided where I am giving birth and do not need to second guess my choice at this stage. I will present my birth plan because every single doula and childbirth educator I have spoken with has recommended it. I have heard many varied stories from people about how the hospital staff has treated their birth plan; and for the most part the...