or Connect

Posts by geekmom

Thanks for the info. It definitely helps to know that I'm not causing irreperable damage. It isn't smegma, though, it really is dirt. I'm just trying to keep him clean. I also try to keep him naked when I can so he can "air" out.
I have a 19 month old who is intact. I was told not to do anythign different with him as a baby. Just wash him like I would any of my other boys and let him be. Now, though, he got a little dirt under his foreskin and it caused an infection. I didn't knwo that could happen so it took me a few days to realize it wasn't a rash. Finally I cleaned it out from the outside and it healed. NOw, there is a bunch of dirt under the foreskin and I can't get it out gently. I have...
I just started teaching High School and I LOVE IT! I think it really depends on who your boss is. My boss is real hands-off. I get to decide pretty much everything I do. I enjoy my students, the administration and my job. Find another place to work.
I received one of my sons at 6 days old (he stayed in the hospital 6 days for jaundice and for DSS to remove him from his birth parents). At 2 weeks old he smiled at me and I just broke down crying (not even nearly my first child, something like 10th). That's what I felt was him staying "I love you". The only children who use the words to say it are the older ones, 5 and 6. My little ones do it by hugging and kissing and coming to me in tears whenever something has...
I would suggest that you read, read, read. When you're starting something like this it's hard to integrate it into the way you do things so getting it clear in your mind will help. I like the Adele Faber/Arlene Mazlish books, any of them, Siblings Without Rivalry, How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen. Also I like Foster Cline's Love and Logic books. Go to the library and get it all the books on the subject you can and see what fits into your family. It's worth it not...
Please go for it, 33 is really young in the scheme of things. I just started teaching and will have to get a teacher prep program under my belt in the next few years to get my professional license. I considered math as a major. I like teaching math to my high school students. They are so afraid of it and I like being able to break it into bite sized pieces and watch as the lights go on. I probably won't go for that becasue I can get a different teacher prep program...
Personally, I would not let them touch each other. It's enough for kids to touch themselves in private to get to know about their bodies. touching someone else's body in such a private place just sets up that it's okay. Small children don't really stop someone from touching them even a sibling, but they may not feel good about it later. It certainly may not cause them any problems later, but it could so err on the side of safety.
I call it "mama time". My older kdis are totally clear on it. After the toddlers are in bed and I've finished reading the books or whatever to my older son, it's "mama time". If my son wants to stay up and play in the playroom or in his room that's fine. He just has to stay away from me. I tell them I need to recharge to be a good mama. They're fine with it. It totally makes a difference for me as a single parent.
Go to www.co-abode.com. They match up people who want a live-in with people who will live-in. I just hired someone to exchange a room for child care. Also, put signs in places that people with small children go, playgroups, supermarkets, etc. Maybe if people knew that they could use their "spare" room that way and get some childcare or cleaning or whatever they'd consider it.
I'm generally a pretty neat and organized person, but my toddlers make it pretty impossible to keep my house anywhere near the way I want it so I've given up. My feeling is that once the 2 todlers are past the dumping age and they can understand how to keep their things in particular rooms I'll worry about keeping it clean. I have to say, the people who can both raise small children and keep a clean house are spending a huge amount of time on the house. If they have...