or Connect

Posts by Drewsmom

We have 4 children ages: 12, 9, 6 and 14 mo.s.  I wish I could say that I had this down but I am really struggling.  I grew up with a very authoritarian father and unstable mother and it's hard to know how to get my kids to do what they need to be doing without using manipulation or threats, bribes.  Simple things that I feel like we need in order to have a functioning house like: make your bed, pick up your toys, dishes, ets.  I've tried all kinds of things.  The latest...
How are you doing Lilalove?  I read your post yesterday when I was having a horrible day and have been thinking about you.  Our 4th baby is 7 months old.  I love AP way of parenting minus the sleep advise although I do agree with the posters here to relax on her sleep and not be quite so regimented.  I love how honest you were.  THank you!  B/c sadly I've had those days too in the past with my other babies.  That's when I decided (and after the advise of a counselor when...
Kristine is now in Nederlands, CO doing home births.  I've had a *horrible* experience with her.  She is terribly unprofessional and just generally uncompassionate.  After 3 visits and sadly paying her in full in order to receive a discount I ended our relationship.  I was increasingly uncomfortable especially after being very sick with a respiratory cold and her only advise was to put an "herbal rub" on my chest.  "What kind?" I asked, (this was after I had emailed and...
Yeah, July 9th for me.  This is our 4th baby.  We have two boys and a girl and I have a strong feeling that this will be a boy.  We just told our kids last night.  They need to understand why I'm out of it sometimes and need their help with things :).  It's fun to have a little family surprise/secret all of our own.  Congratulations to everyone else here!  
Yep, I've thought about all of those points and then some.  The truth is that he really wouldn't see them that often.  We've had times where he's worked away from us during the week and then returned on the weekend.  At first he's home every weekend and the phone calls are frequent at the beginning and then visiting and phone calls taper off.  It was actually during that first time he worked away from home that ds#1 was 4 at the time that he realized that he really did...
I'm really frustrated with dh and this has gone on and off for years.  He can do well with the kids and do fun things, seems to be better bonded with our older son who has some issues (SPD, ADHD).  However, there's nothing more important to me than being a good mother.  I came from an emotionally abusive family and have been thinking about this for years before even getting married.  Dh yells at the kids a lot, a lot.  I grew up in a family where my parents yelled a lot...
OH thank you for your post.  I was coming on to say the *exact* same thing but our kids are: 9, 7 and 3 so you have a much better excuse.  I just have some friends whose houses are constantly clean and organized and I seriously wonder how in the world they do it?
Sad and scary to say that I've actually had this happen. We have a lake where we just moved from and ds was 6, right infront of me and directly next to our neighbor. She was in the water and I was on the dock, 3 feet from him. It was his first time in the water without his life jacket on. I didn't realize how much he relied on the side of the pool and thought he was a stronger swimmer than I thought. The dock was higher than he could reach, he was 2 feet from the...
What do you do when you and your dh have very different parenting styles? I classify myself that I can be a great mom and a horrible mom but I at least try to be a good mom. I realize that as a parent we are shaping our children for better or worse. Dh can be a good Dad, he will throw the ball around with the kids from time to time and he came from a good family so he remembers some traditions they had and tries to implement them (I came from a crummy family and am...
I was driving home and saw a homeless man with a sign by the off ramp of the highway. He said he was a retired Vet who had chemo and needed some camping gear. He really looked like he could use some help. So I turned around and was coming back to go grab him some camping gear down the road at the sports store and a cop clocked me going too fast and gave me a ticket. ARrrrrghhhhh. I'm mad at myself for trying to get it done too fast and for explaining myself after he...