or Connect

Posts by foreverinbluejeans

Charter schools are not homeschooling even if the school is in a setting that looks like a home. It is not uncommon for homeschooled children to not start "schooling" until they are 7 or older and only spend an hour or two a day on learning activities. They get accepted into college and become professionals.    The vast majority of children can learn at home with very little effort put forth by adults. There are services available to identify and help children with...
Why can't everyone just homeschool? It isn't hard. We don't "need" public schools. I was a single parent and I homeschooled my 3 children. We could use all that money we are using on public education in more effective ways.   We could spend some of that money we waste on public education for young children on secondary education. 
It sounds like StartingAllOver has her mind made up that it is "assinine" to try and breastfeed a 7.5 month old baby more than 3-4 times a day because that is how frequently all her babies breastfed. One can easily find out when to start yogurt by going to google. StartingAllOver came to Mothering. Traditionally Mothering has been an advocate for babies and evidence based practice. I believe that if someone comes to Mothering for advice they should be open to well-meaning,...
Here is some info about testing  http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/allergy-asthma-respiratory/atopic-dermatitis-or-eczema/tests   My grandson had skin testing done when he was about 18 months old. It didn't bother him much until he started reacting to things and it started itching on his back. He doesn't like his blood getting drawn and that is more difficult. His father remembers getting his blood taken as a child so it is hard for him when his son has to have...
Something to think about - if you don't want the government making vax decisions for you, why would you allow the government to care for and educate you child? I didn't have to vax my kids for medical reasons. I couldn't force them to go to school. 
At 7.5 months a baby's nutrition should be coming from breastmilk even if the baby loves food. Babies need human milk for brain growth and development - that can't be made up later. Nursing 3-4 times a day probably isn't enough to get the amount of milk a baby needs. It is common for breastfed babies this age to still nurse 8 or more times/24 hours. Yogurt, of course, is made from cow's milk, the perfect food for baby cows. It isn't a healthy replacement for breastmilk. 
There is a good chance that you will be able to nurse with one breast and have enough milk without pumping. Think about how women can nurse twins or siblings. You may need to pump or express the breast that had surgery for awhile after birth to prevent engorgement.
My grandson suffered from eczema and we could have never guessed what he was allergic to without testing. Some of the most common things like milk he wasn't allergic to at all and he was allergic to more unusual things like chicken. It really doesn't make sense to do elimination diets for you or your child since there are so many possibilities. It could even be something that is not a food. I am very allergic to formaldehyde, it causes eczema or respiratory problems. There...
Grounding and taking things are forms of authoritarian parenting. Authoritatian parenting has lots of negative consequences in all children, it is an especially ineffective form of parenting with children/teens with bipolar disorder. Under the best of situations it fails to promote good behavior. What it does with typical kids is make them resent their parents, lie and behave worse. It can drive them to hate their home/parents/family, especially chrildren with bipolar...
SkinnyloveBC, I'm sorry you are having so many difficulties. Your situation is not normal (psychosis) and I am I looked through your previous posts and it sounds like you are getting professional help. Your toddler can be picking up on your emotions and hormonal changes and that can be affecting her behavior and night waking. I'm not blaming you but offering a possible partial explaination for what you describe as her high need behavior. It is documented that psychiatric...