or Connect

Posts by foreverinbluejeans

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for at least the first 6 months. That means nothing by mouth other than human milk. It is normal for human children to wake and nurse at night until they are 3 or older. I have problems with giving children anything including teas to try and make them sleep for adult preference. Instead of trying to change normal babies why aren't we trying to help women adapt to thriving with night waking?
As a grandmother I wouldn't want my grandchilren to do this. If I couldn't go vist them or they couldn't come vist me with their mother then I would wait until they were older. I'm in this situation right now and haven't seen my 2 year old grandson in over a year. 
What does wild mean? Does it mean an active 2 year old or does it mean a teen that is having problems with the police, pregnant, uses drugs, and has dropped out of school? Almost all children have multiple influences in their lives. Just because they get gentle discipline at home they get lots of other messages from other sources in their lives.    There is a theory in psychology that you can do everything right as a parent and there is still a chance your child will...
The number of weeks of gestation does not mean a baby will be too big to birth. I am 5'2" and was tiny before pregnant and went over 42 weeks and my baby was only 6 pounds 6 ounces. Healthy pregnancy, easy vaginal delivery. My next pregnancy went 38 weeks before I went into labor and the baby was 7 pounds 6 ounces (4 less weeks and the baby weighed a pound more). I knew when I got pregnant because I was keeping ovulation charts so my dates were accuate.    Lung...
This is a complex situation. It seems like some feel the issue is that CIO is bad and it is important to determine if leaving your 3 year old crying with strangers at preschool is an example of CIO. I think the important issue is if it is in the best interest of the 3-4 year old to be left at preschool. The young child can learn socialization skills and anything else she or her needs to learn while with a parent, family member, or primary caretaker. I would never (and...
My 3 sons are now adults and I avoided using punishments. They never even had time-outs or any kind of being grounded (other people find that hard to believe). Because of an individual child's maturity, ability, previous behavior, ect. there are times it parent's responsibility to limit what they can or can't do especially when the dhild's or other people's safety is involved. Being an effective parent involves building a repertoir of parenting skills. Some well-meaning...
Research has never shown harm from occasional drinking during pregnancy. Alcohol at certain developmental stages can cause profound developmental problems. The problem is it is hard to define the amount of alcohol for an individual pregnancy on a given day in the pregnancy so to err on the side of caution "experts" encouraged women to abstain from any alcohol during all of pregnancy. The problem is "experts" loose credibility when they take these kinds of stands because...
My oldest was born in the 70's and baby things were pink and blue in the 70's and it was an issue back then just as it is now. There was a psychologist named Sandra Bem that advocated non-sexist child rearing in the early 1980's. She promoted the idea of using primary colors for young children and may have been responsible for primary colors being more popular in the 80's and 90's for kids clothes and toys. Some of my friends and I were into this idea of non-sexist child...
I carried my two oldest when they were toddlers. When my 3rd was born I had mobility issues and mostly had to use a wheelchair. "Leashes" are great for disabled moms, moms with lots of kids, grandmothers, and other caretakers in special situations. I think it is important to not judge people using "leashes" because the the reason may not be obvious. It is always better to give the person the benefit of the doubt then to be critical of a disabled person doing the best...
I use toothpaste to clean stainless steel to make it shine. It seems to work better than baking soda.