or Connect

Posts by foreverinbluejeans

Milk bank milk is very, very expensive. The charge for processing but it can be $4-5 an oz. That is $150 a day. There is no reason to pay $4500 to a milk bank if a mother can be breastfeeding herself. Even if the family is poor a bank may not let a family have milk for free if a mother just doesn't want to give her milk to her baby. It's not right to ask other women to sacrifice their milk, time, money for food, ect. in a situation where a mother could be feeding her own...
"Medical contraindications to breastfeeding are rare." This is from the American Academy of Pediatrics. Almost all medical conditions can be treated and the mother can breastfeed. Like I said chemo and radioactive drugs are the two big ones. There is a drug for bipolar disorder but it is an old drug and there are many other drugs that can be used. Women have breastfed with many medical conditions that seem impossible including...
I think the cover is great. I nursed 5 year old and 2 year old sons at the same time. My oldest weaned on his 6th birthday. The woman on the cover was breastfed until she was 6. Despite 56 years of La Leche League and public health messages people still don't know that babies breastfeed and that they breastfeed until they are 2, 3 or even 6 and it is good for them, their mothers, families, communities, the United States, the environment, and the world.
You can breastfeed with just one breast and the other breast will stop producing milk. I would be concerned that the breast that has some ducts with blockages could end up having repeated blocked ducts or mastits if you tried to nurse with it.
I agree that 3 hours is too long to go between feedings. Supplementing is a problem even if you use something other than a bottle it makes the baby nurse less well. From and evolutionary perspective human babies are designed to breastfeed pretty much all the time for the first few months. Humans are so adaptable that most babies can do okay if they are forced to breastfeed only 8-12 times a day. The 8-12 times just isn't enough for a percentage of the baby population and...
Some thoughts Rent a hospital grade pump Do massage before pumping - go to google and search Marmet technique A 3 month old should only be fed about 4 oz by bottle at a time for it to stay down Frequent small feeds are better for a baby with reflux You aren't a mind reader and don't that he associates breastfeeding with pain Why would breastfeeding cause pain? He probably won't nurse because he has been bottle feeding (we know this is a risk...
There are almost no medical reasons that would cause a woman to have to wean her baby forever. Even if a woman has to have chemo or take radioactive meds she can start breastfeeding after a safe time has past. There are many of us that have breastfed through hospitalizations, on many medications, and through difficult situations. If you give more information the mothers here may be able to help with info about your specific situation.   I became very ill while...
As I understand it unschooling is child-centered and child-driven. From what I remember from reading John Holt children probably aren't ready to be "taught" until they are around 12 before they are ready for any formal classes or learning from books. A child that is in 2nd grade wouldn't need books or learning plans. What the child would need is a home that is rich learning environment and at least one adult around that is available for the child to do things with the...
My son, the baby's father, is concerned and thinks the baby needs more breastmilk. She leaves medical decisions up to him and would probably be relieved if we were able to get donor milk since she won't pump at work.
She won't. She isn't concerned that the baby has 1-4 oz for 9 hours.