or Connect

Posts by genniemom

Thanks for the input. I will check those out!
Thanks so much for the input! I'm thinking it will be pretty hard to get the rest of the family on board with just commodes. I was under the impression that composting toilets use the same concepts as those detailed in Humanure, but I haven't read it yet. I will definitely read it to see if it can change my perspective.
When you say U of M, you mean UMD? There are tons of options for living very close to campus or a little further out in nature. There are also just tons of options in Duluth in general. A new birth center just opened, there are babywearing and attachment parenting groups, and Hartley Nature Center is very near UMD. Dr. Heather Winesett is hands down the most popular pediatrician. She is at St. Luke's hospital. The snow here can be straight up brutal. AWD is highly advised....
I am completely lost in my search for a good composting toilet. What I'm looking for: a lower maintenance toilet that runs on electricity, flushes with air and a small amount of water, and composts. It needs to be functional for full time large family use. Most of the toilet reviews I see are for occasional use or smaller family use. I want a high quality, functional product. I am planning on installing three composting toilets when my sister and I move into connected...
I have been dreaming about yurts for quite a while now. No concrete plans yet, but my sister and I plan to purchase some land and live on it together with our families. We're in the early stages right now, where I have been focusing on getting my house up to code for rental, as the market will not allow me to sell it. Any advice I can get would be appreciated! I have been looking at Yurts of America because it's the closest in proximity to me. We live in Northern WI. I...
I just started using Shea Moisture baby cream. I really like it!
I had both of  my sons at my last birth. They were 4 and 1. They found it really exciting. I showed them birth videos (including my own) and Babies and Birth On the Farm. My midwife said it was one of the most relaxed and happy family births she's ever attended. There was a shoulder dystocia, but it was quickly resolved. Neither of them was too distressed about it, although my son is very convinced that babies come out of butts because I was on all fours for pushing. Lol
I wasted my first baby's placenta. I had no idea it had any value. I paid for encapsulation with my second, and did the encapsulating myself the third time around. I highly recommend it. I have heard of all of the perceived benefits of consuming the placenta, but it didn't sway me. What did sway me is the fact that other mammals consume their placentas. That, to me, means that it is the biologically normal thing to do. Animals aren't weighed down by social constraints.
When my baby was young and not very mobile, I would sometimes just lay him on top of a prefold and put another one on top of him. When he nursed, I would just loosely wrap the top one around him until I set him back down. If one got wet, I just replaced it from the pile by my bed. Now that he is mobile, I use the Kawaii GNHWs. They work really well for me, and he sleeps for a long time (12 hours or more). They also work well for my 2yo son. Good luck finding what works...
My 4.5 yo son is only very recently fully potty trained. He is very intense in personality, and we are very laid back parents, so we let him set the pace. What finally helped was peer support (not pressure.) We eat dinner as a large family at my mom's every day with my sister and her seven kids. The bathroom is off limits for playing as it has become a problem before and it's in high demand. My sister's kids are not allowed to go in together because they cause trouble....