or Connect

Posts by heathernj

Can you sew?  Even a little?  They're not hard to make, at all!  Google "soft leather baby shoes pattern"  There is a lady online who sells an adult sized Robeez-type pattern. as well as a baby one.
I would SOOO invite the friend over!  Also, the words "Mind your own business!" have become distressingly underused these days--some people just need to be reminded, sometimes.  My kids go barefoot, unless they choose to put on shoes or we're somewhere where they are necessary or required.  I prefer that no one wear shoes in the house--it makes for less dirt being tracked in.  I am barefoot unless I need shoes.  (Right now, I have a baby due in 3 weeks, and I often wear...
I just use a plain ring sling.  I've used them with 2 babies so far, from birth till about age 2.  I can't recommend any particular brand, because I make my own.  My babies have been most comfortable in the "tummy to tummy" position, where the sling holds them against my chest, but I usually switch them to a laying down position to nurse in the sling.  Later, they sometimes like to face outward.  I can carry and nurse a baby in a sling, while pushing a toddler in the...
I wasn't serious about anything.  By the way, babies digestive systems can handle meat and eggs BEFORE anything else...and they develop the enzymes to digest grains LAST.  My kids didn't get much cow dairy before a year, but mostly because they were getting their "dairy" from me.  I have learned that nuts are rather pointless before about 18 months.  The kids will eat them, but, well, I cloth diaper, and I would find lots of nice, clean, bits of nuts in my washing...
Personally, I think those rules were developed by people who have never regularly shared their beds with their kids, and have no idea what it's really like!  Either that, or they were made up specifically to make bedsharing seem like too much of a pain to do!   We have blankets on the bed, and pillows, and had a newborn and a toddler sharing our bed at the same time--and a dog. Never had a problem.
I've always done almost all my cooking from scratch, including baking, and often including bread.  A couple of years ago, for my 37th birthday, I finally bought myself a stand mixer (birthday present from hubs).  My opinion:  Good grief, WHY didn't I buy one a long, long time ago!?  SO useful!  You do want to make sure that the mixer you buy has what it takes to knead bread dough for a long time to come.  I checked a lot of reviews, and finally ended up passing on the...
At Target or Wal-Mart, you can get decent quality washcloths, in a bundle of (IIRC) 18, for under $5.  I have a couple or three of these bundles, and, at our last house, tossed them into a drawer in the bathroom, within reach of the kids (who are 3 1/2 and 2).  These worked great as substitute for paper towels, much of the time.  If they were used to wipe up something nasty, I simply threw them in the diaper pail with the diapers.  I do still use paper towels, but...