or Connect

Posts by jes h

I've been pretty hesitant to consider DS 'gifted' at this point... but we're having some (negative) issues in preschool, and now I'm looking for some advice on proceeding.   Some background;  I suspect he is on the lowerish end of 'giftedness' he has always been a very intense child, very observant, natural learner, natural conversationalist.  Always very precocious and prefers the company of adults/older kids to kids his own age - he intuitively discovered how to...
echoing that our son is more outgoing when a little sleep deprived.  Other people think it is cute, but we are in for a melt down when we get home.   With my experience,  kids who come to our house are from very poor backgrounds and are often delayed in maturity.  I think their brains/bodies use the extra sleep time to play developmental catch-up, and our son has a very difficult temperament.  He just isn't an easy kid at all.  (I know all kids have their 'things' ...
Sorry I didn't read your OP close enough! Our older little one has clear memories of her neglect, but her little brother does not.  He was removed early enough that he has no real memories, but has an overwhelming feeling of anxiety.  However, the services he receives through the behavioral therapy agency really do nothing in the way of counseling.  The behavioral therapist who comes here works with both of them on how to handle feelings of anger and frustration, not so...
We actually met the kids we have now while doing respite for their previous foster family, who apparently used it a great deal.  (There were many issues with that family that we have been working through with the kids...) So, my goal is to not use respite.  Our only form of 'respite' is our parents, who have their licenses, and I don't think of that as respite; just what a family does.  (our bio son and any kids placed here visit the grandparents for occasional evenings...
I know he isn't always popular around here, but we loved Dr. Weisman's Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child for our post colicy son, and it has been a constant reference book in our house on sleep/behavior. The reason I bring it up is that a crucial point in his book is that kids just need far more sleep than they generally get, and that common bedtimes have more to do with kid activities/parent work schedules than actual sleep needs of children. So with that in mind,...
I think of our son as having very little exposure to TV characters until we hang out with another couple/kids and my son trumpes their kids on his Dora knowledge.  (he gets 20 minutes of Ipad time after naps.  normally he plays games, but for a while he had found Dora on Netflix.  Don't ask how... it amazes me...and frightens me a little).  Mostly just keeping him away from the shows/movies eliminates any desire for the stuff.  If he sees it, he doesn't recognize it so...
We wash our own hair with a baking soda rinse then vinegar rinse.  DH and I had an 'adjustment' phase while our scalps were still in oil-producing overdrive (caused by shampoo) but a NEW scalp would not have this problem.  Now, my hair is the nicest its ever been.  The vinegar has a conditioning and detangling effect (doesn't smell once it dries, which is quick). Also, just not bathing as much will let the skin produce its own oils, and reduce need for lotions.  We...
Are there any behavioral service providers in your area to go to?  I think our current sibling placement are similar;  they are certainly not RAD, but the oldest requires medication to function through the day without her 'dark' moods and emotions just overwhelming her.  Their background is of sever neglect/abandonment, and as previous posters mentioned, she just doesn't have healthy ways to develop attachments to people.  (sadly, she WANTS to, which often leads to these...
Some time ago I ended up on the phone with another very experienced foster mom.  She mentioned that she doesn't take kids over the summer - she is a single mom with two adopted daughters (from fostercare) and she takes the summers to devote time to her daughters, who sometimes feel a little ignored with other little ones coming in and out.  When I find her phone number, I am going to ask the logistics of this.. We have always been of the mind that we take all our...
We have been at this a year now and one thing we have learned is that the social worker is not necessarily your 'friend.'  Which is not to say that they are an enemy, but they have their job to do, and have to work multiple plans at once, and some less professional ones may say things to get a placement.  Our current worker is phenomenal, but our first worker was difficult.  That social worker asked us two weeks before kids were placed with us if we were  a 'foster to...